Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclock failure! computer crash.

• Please log in to reply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
do you know what the heatsink is? if so take the clip off and pull the heatsink out and check the thermal paste (some radio shacks carry thermal paste if you need it) put it back on

Advertisements

Angelboi

Angelboi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
I know what the heatsink is, I've never had to reseat it.
I guess I have to remove the fan first. What's thermal paste and what does it do?

Edited by Angelboi, 16 March 2007 - 07:09 PM.

Angelboi

Angelboi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
I'd like this resolved as soon as possible so hear I go.

Its an Asus P4P800SE Motherboard.
However, my Asus Probe Monitor read out tells me its the CPU temperature overheating (80+) and not the Motherboard.
I am not sure what difference this is.

I have checked that all the fans are in fact running and have tried to clean each fan carefully.
I have not reseated the heatsink as I do not know how to do this properly and would wish that one of you would describe to me how to reseat it.

The BIOS settings are all at default, and that's about as much as I know, help please!

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835100007
that is just an example of the various types of thermal paste. you do not need to remove your fan from the heatsink to remove the heatsink unless it has a retention bracket in which case the fan is mounted to, and not the heatsink
here is a basic know-how on taking it off
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1116/
you dont have to use carb cleaner. nor freezing your heatsink unless you want to take the old paste off fist. always clean old off before putting new on. also it doesnt take much, to much will cause overheat (not that it should be worse than current :whistling:)

Angelboi

Angelboi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Okay, so Thermal Paste acts as a conductor of some sort?
I understand the purpose of the Heatsink.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Yes, thermal paste is a must for conduction of heat between the processor and the heatsink, if you dont have any, get some.

Angelboi

Angelboi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
I just want to ask everyone, it is in fact safe to freeze my Heatsink right?

And do I need to let it thaw afterwards? or just stick back into place.

Angelboi

Angelboi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
And if i remove the heatsink from its position, do i need more thermal paste to put it back in? As I do not have any at the moment. Answers greatly appreciated!!!

To sum the question:
Will it harm the system to remove the heatsink, clean and freeze it.
Do I need thermal paste to re-attach it, or will the existing one still suffice till i can purchase more.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

And if i remove the heatsink from its position, do i need more thermal paste to put it back in? As I do not have any at the moment. Answers greatly appreciated!!!

To sum the question:
Will it harm the system to remove the heatsink, clean and freeze it.
Do I need thermal paste to re-attach it, or will the existing one still suffice till i can purchase more.

remember not to turn the computer on while heatsink is off. and wait till you have thermal paste before you start

Angelboi

Angelboi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
So if i want to reseat my heat sink, i "must" have new thermal paste?

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
you dont have to, but is is highly recommended to see a difference

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I'd say it's more of a must than a recommendation. Heatsinks have no-where near the conductivity of heat without thermal paste. If you are going to reseat your heatsink USE PASTE.

Angelboi

Angelboi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Well seeing as i failed to "remove" the fan casing the heatsink, i simply gave it a very very much needed dust cleaning. Behind the fan, all the vent holes into the heatsink was clogged with dust. Im seeing a huge performance difference in speed and sounds, however i have not tested my computer with a game yet. Usually it takes a game such as Warcraft III to generate heat and crash so ill post a report later.

But for future reference, how the heck do you remove the fan? Even after i unclip the.. clips, the fan just becomes loose but i see no way of removing it.

After dust cleaning very well with a few Q-tips, instead of beeping off 83-90 degree's, im now at a cool 45 ^^

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Pull the heatsink off. The dust probably was a problem, I always tell people to do this, just blow the dust out. However it should be OK in game, but just give a shout as to what happens.

Angelboi

Angelboi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Problem solved, After some simple 10 minute dusting with a few Q-tips, the Heatsink is now clean and running at a smooth 47c
Regardless of how much activity I do it won't go up :whistling: I love it.

Thanks alot guys.