Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New problem--CD-DVD drive

• Please log in to reply

Old Goat

Old Goat

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Got my XP installed nd am loading my music recording, editing, and other programs, but my CD mdrive has quit reading most disks. It will play commercial music CDs and DVDs, but no others--won't even play my loop collections that were professionally made. :whistling: :blink:

It's a Sony CRX320EE CD-RW/DVD drive. I have un-re-installed the driver, gone to Sony's site to be told the XP drivers are all I need. Checked and rechecked settings, and I am bumfuzzled. Any ideas? I was so excited when the OS loaded, but knew there'd be bugs, and this is the first.

Advertisements

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Got my XP installed nd am loading my music recording, editing, and other programs, but my CD mdrive has quit reading most disks. It will play commercial music CDs and DVDs, but no others--won't even play my loop collections that were professionally made. :whistling: :blink:

It's a Sony CRX320EE CD-RW/DVD drive. I have un-re-installed the driver, gone to Sony's site to be told the XP drivers are all I need. Checked and rechecked settings, and I am bumfuzzled. Any ideas? I was so excited when the OS loaded, but knew there'd be bugs, and this is the first.

Might want to try to go to Sony's site and download new firmware for that drive. I had a similar problem with this one. New firmware = fixed. Also, your drive just might be going out.

Old Goat

Old Goat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I hope it's not going out--it's brand new!

Okay, according to Sony, I have a CRX320A, even though the computer and the catalog list it as CRX320EE. The instructions for the firmware are for the CRX320A, but in the sample box it says "This flash utility only supports Sony CD-RW CRX320E drive." I'm confused--understandably, I think. Is this the right update for my unit or not? ARGH!

Edited by Old Goat, 25 February 2007 - 09:33 AM.

Old Goat

Old Goat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Not the right stuff, said the big, red message. I emailed tech support. I can't find this particular model in Sony's index. Double ARGH!

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
call back tech support after checking the stickers affixed to the drive to ensure you do in fact have the right model. After that, ask them to email you a link to the firmware update page for your specific drive. It could be that it was packaged wrong and you got the wrong drive, which would explain a lot since you'd be installing the wrong drivers, or it could be that you have the wrong disks.

Upgrade all installs and see if this helps.

Old Goat

Old Goat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay, I'll do it. Thank you.

Checked the drive and it is indeed a CRX320EE, and I found it on Sony's site under HH Combo Drives. They don't sell it to the public, apparently, and list no software, firmware, or underwear for the thing! I called tech again, and I'll hope for the best. Maybe I should contact support where I bought the unit???

Edited by Old Goat, 26 February 2007 - 07:55 PM.

Old Goat

Old Goat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
FYI tech where I got the machine (Avadirect) diagnosed a bad eye in the drive, and they are going to replace it. Thanks, folks.

Wolfmeister

Wolfmeister

• Pip
  • 5 posts
CRX320EE driver

this sony dvd rom/cd rw just disappeared. I tried the usual stuff. Can anyone help?
I can't be the first sucker to have this problem. thanks!

I'm out of my mind with frustration. I am extremely sad and mad.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

this sony dvd rom/cd rw just disappeared

Disappeared from where?

Wolfmeister

Wolfmeister

• Pip
  • 5 posts
It shows up in device manager with a yellow exclamation mark, but refuses to update, and it says something like "windows cannot enable this device". The dc rom works and spins and lights up, so it's good. It's been running fine for months, never had a problem with it.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does it show up in My Computer?
If not then:
Broni's canned speech:

One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.
5. Go to Microsoft's site http://support.micro..._drive_problems and follow the steps.
6. Try the guide at this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Thank's to Broni for the instructions

Wolfmeister

Wolfmeister

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks! Wow! The last solution worked great. I ran the microsoft "Fix it" software and it took about 5 minutes and 2 reboots, but I am thank God and thank YOU continuing my important project. Have a nice day!

Wolfmeister

Wolfmeister

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I rebooted and ran the fix it again, rebooted again, and now the write works good. Mission accomplished!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :D for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.

Wolfmeister

Wolfmeister

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just posted a link to your site on my FB:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum

these guys just solve a hairy tech problem for me. They answered back in thier forum. I just posted a thread, and someone got back to me with instructions what to do and it wqorked. Saved my [bleep], so I want to post this for people who need tech help.