Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer log on

• Please log in to reply

birdieman55

birdieman55

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When I turn my computer on, it always logs in to the internet. How do I get it just to come up with the desktop?

Advertisements

zoned

zoned

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Birdieman,
More than likely you have some software installed that is trying to connect to the internet when you startup.
Run Spybot, Ad Aware or Microsoft AntiSpyware and this should find any Spyware or Dialer that is on your PC.

regards

Zoned :tazz:

TheForumLord

TheForumLord

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I hope my answer will be good:
try to do this: go to start>run>wright in the empty input box "msconfig" (without the apostrophes)> then go to the startup bar and their check if your connection name isn't marked with a "V", if it does unmark it and press ok.
afterwards, there will be a messege that will tell you to restart your computer, restart him and check if your connection is still connecting at startup.
if this guide didn't help u, check this: go to your connection>right mouse button click on it>go to options> mark the 2 first V's and unmark the last V in the first category.
try to understand cause i know the guide wasn't very "understandable".
hope i could help...

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I would look at Internet > tools > internet options >connections
3 buttons which have you got checked ?
1)Never dial a connection (I don't think so)
2)Dial whenever a network connection is not present
3)Always dial my default connection
Cheers
peterm

birdieman55

birdieman55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
None of them are checked, in fact they are grayed out and I can't even click any of them on.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
scan with ad aware and spybot as suggested. You want to make sure no malware is phoning home. I understand you use a lan (cable modem or dsl) to connect to the internet? This is what I have and it always acquires a connection when I boot up. You can control what programs are accessing the internet by using a software firewall, such as Zone Alarm (it is free). I have been using it for several years, no problems. I don't give any program unlimited access. I just make the decision when Zone Alarm gives the notice. I just hate it when Real Player wants to phone home when I am not even using it. I check deny in that case. Just don't check the "always remember this decision " box so you can decide on a case by case basis. There are other similar programs out there. What you want is one that lets you control access both outward and into your computer.

israel_guy

israel_guy

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi,

I recommend Ad Aware. A free program free for personal use, and very useful! You can download it from www.lavasoft.com.
Again, Run a search and search for dialers, as anyone else told you!