Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microphone

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Alright, so for like the tenth time my headset went out, so I decided to stop buying the cheap ones and got myself a nice $60 headset with 5.1 sound and microphone...
It works great, when I scream into the mic. Other than that it's not likely it'll pick up anything.
I've got all the mic volume controls I could find set to the highest level, plus the "Mic Boost" setting, and I'm testing this with sndrec32.

I think it's the computer more than the microphone that's making it like this, because my temporary ghetto solution is I've got a super high-quality $130 music recording mic twis-tied to the end of the boom on the headset and that's plugged in instead of the headset mic. I normally don't use the recording mic on this box. On my Mac where I do use it, I have to set the volume down drastically cause that thing picks up conversations in other rooms if I don't, but on this one it's only marginally better than the headset mic.

So what else can I do to get this POS louder?

Edited by W-Unit, 24 February 2007 - 07:42 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
make sure the mike is plugged into the correct input-socket on the sound-card. It should be plugged into 'mic in' and not 'line in'.