Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Netgear WG302 v1 access point and WPA2

• Please log in to reply

Rybo

Rybo

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I've been having trouble getting WPA2(PSK with AES) to work in my home network. I've downloaded the appropriate WPA2 hotfix on every xp computer and have the most up to date pro safe v1 firmware, and it won't work. At the very least my laptop should work, because it has the newest intel wireless network driver and the before mentioned WPA2 xp hotfix. I thought maybe it was just the microsoft wireless software that couldn't make the connection, so I downloaded intel's wireless software. The intel software was able to make a connection with the access point with WPA2, but the connection would only last for a couple seconds and disconnect.

Could the problem just be with the access point? Does the WG302 v1 access point even support personal WPA2(PSK with AES)? Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The WG302 does support WPA2 (though not sure about the AES, not in specs. see here): http://www.netgear.c...=Specifications

I assume you've run the config wizard for the WG302 to set the type of encryption you want? If it's set to something other than WPA2, that would be the cause of your problem.

Rybo

Rybo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I think I may have found what was causing so much trouble. Apparently WPA2(PSK with AES) doesn't play well with mac filtering. Once I turned that off. I was able to connect with both Windows and Intel software on my laptop. Unfortunately though, the internet speed was noticeably slow, and it would disconnect frequently. Maybe there's something else I'm doing wrong, but I think the problem is that WPA2 just hasn't been fine tuned enough yet, whether it's the client side or the access point side.