Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking an AMD Athlon x2 3800

• Please log in to reply

olderwhiskeynandfasterhorses

olderwhiskeynandfasterhorses

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'd like to overclock my AMD Athlon x2 3800, but I've never done it before. My motherboard came with an overclocking thing in the Bios but I'm not sure if it should be trusted because its probably just some junk that they throw in there to sell it for $10 more. I'm currently running a:

Biostar TForce 4 SLI Nvidia NForce4SLI Socket 939 ATX mobo
Aspire ATX Discovery Case (dont think it matters but may affect cooling.)
1 stick of Corsair 1GB DDR PC3200
GeForce 6600gt nVidia Video Card
120GB Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD
fax modem
I have a HDD fan and 4 case fans: 3x 80mm and 1x 120mm- sounds like a windtunnel
No water cooling (too much $$)
stock heatsink but have Arctic Silver 5 applied to heatsink and processor (not sure if its applied right,- scrapped off stock stuff and applied it between heatsink and processor, first build, didnt really have anyone to ask)
This is idling (for me, four windows open) using Speed Fan, pretty sure the first two temps are just errors cause thats where it is when I start up my comp.
Temp1: 127C
Temp2: 127C
Temp3 31C
Temp 1C
HD0: 26C
Temp1: 40C
Core:29C
I'd just like to try overclocking, I know temp is an issue long post, but I figured I'd give you all the info right a way. If you don't think I should overclock, I won't. Currently, I don't have any problems with the speed, but I really want to try to overclock. Thanks!

Advertisements

techie4fun

techie4fun

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi :whistling:

People say you shouldn't overclock but I do it anyways. I overclocked my processor by going into my bios, which was relatively easy. My only concern was going to ensure that you have proper cooling, but with what you described, you should have no problem.

Do so at your own risk, however. But I did it to my processor and never have any problems.

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
With stock cooling, I would look for a aftermarket fan before OCing. Zalman makes very nice ones, but, be sure you have one for the rights processor/socket. Also, be sure to have good case cooling.