Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD ERRO while XP setup

• Please log in to reply

ABVM

ABVM

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I assembled a new system and trying to install XP Pro. I have a new 320 GB SATA HDD.

MB - Asus M2NPV-VM
DDR2 800Mhz 2GB kit
320 GB SATA [Seagate]

I first modified the Boot Sequence to boot from Floppy and partition the drive. [Did create one partition - using Win Me Boot disk]. (As I couldn't get the XP to load my SATA drives using the 6 XP Boot diskette)

Sencondly, I changed the boot sequence to load from CD and booted from XP CD [the one I "slipstreamed" for SP2].

It booted fine and loaded my drivers and I was on my way to install the OS after formatting the drives to NTFS.

When the system restarted for the second time (after setting up - Local time information/Administer passwords etc...) - the Windows XP logo screen appeared and then just in couple of second got the BSoD with the error

***STOP:0X000000ED (0X892DDE30, 0XC000014F, 0X00000000, OX00000000)
(Googled for this error but, invain)

I checked the BIOS to see what is wrong - though not having much experience in system setup and configuration.

I checked for the "Repair" option while setup - it never came up - so can't do CHKDSK or FIXBOOT.

Currently, while writing this - I have deleted the partitions. and recreated a single partition [can't format it to FAT32] and trying to do a fresh install (formatting the whole partition as NTFS) again.

Out of 320 I m able to just see 298 - anyways, proceeding the setup - hope I get through this.

This is my first time so kinda little worried. I will be glad if you could point me in some direction.

Thx,
abvm

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Most 'STOP' error messages should also show you a phrase at the top, in block capitals with words separated by an underscore, for example:
KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

That's just an example. Please post yours as it will help to identify the problem.

ABVM

ABVM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sry, I missed to post that message....

I said "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" ... then saying something like check your BIOS setup and then...

Technical Error or Description the spitted out this error

***STOP:0X000000ED (0X892DDE30, 0XC000014F, 0X00000000, OX00000000)

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
That is an Unmountable_Boot_Volume error. Did you copy the SATA controller drivers from the CD that came with your motherboard for use when you install Windows XP?

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I was just reading up on the motherboard you have, it has a floppy disk creation program on the setup Cd, run that to create your sata driver disk.

ABVM

ABVM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for writing...

Yes, I did and it also identified the hdd and installed XP in that - after finalising the installation - it removed the temp files and restarted by it self for the second time.

I got the Windows start up screen with the logo - and in a couple of seconds got the BSoD screen with the above message.

OK the BSOD screen in front for me - let me write the whole message here..

"
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacture for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

***STOP:0X000000ED (0X89386E30, 0XC000014F, 0X00000000, OX00000000)

"

Sry, I either seem to have miss typed the error code or may be I got a different error numbers - not sure.

Note: - I didn't get any driver floppies - I got a CD with my ASUS MB - i booted with that CD and created a floppy with the Nividia XP 32-bit compatible SATA drivers.
I provided those drivers and it got loaded and XP recognized. :whistling:

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I read on a post somewhere that changing plug from sata 1 to sata 3 port solves some installation issues.

ABVM

ABVM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Let me try that and see - thx for the tip. Hope I don't get that annoying screen again.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
It is all a "wonderful learning experience"! Good Luck!

ABVM

ABVM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried SATA 3 - no luck - may be I should re-install again in SATA 3? I m trying SATA 2 now.

ABVM

ABVM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
nothing worked - I m out of ideas :whistling:

ABVM

ABVM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
How to find out - what the drivers are for - I mean - my HDD is 300MB/s [information from the manufacturer's site].

Can the drivers the Mother Board gave be drivers that support only 150Mb/s?

Will that be an issues - if it can be - then how do I find out which transfer rate(s) the HDD suports?

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Try to just load the minimum hardware, especially Ram, I see you have a 2GB kit just install one stick and try to install Windows. Then if you are successful install the rest of your Ram, and any addon cards such as soundcards and modems one at a time.

ABVM

ABVM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried that too, used only one memory module [tried both the modules individually]. No luck. Same error pops up every time.

Even tried jumping then SATA HDD to use 150 Mb/s instead of 300 Mb/s. Still same.

The error msg is really not giving more details - Checked with Technical experts in a computer hardware store - they ask me to bring in the whole system and say would charge a hefty amount to take a look at this one :whistling: