Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

lost of data on rewritable CD

• Please log in to reply

pkdd210

pkdd210

• Pip
  • 2 posts
dear experts & forum members,
i have problem with lost data on a CD. i kept my documents from year 1995 to 2004, plus some photos, on this rewritable CD. strangely enough, despite being 700MB capacity just like any other CD, it is displayed as ~ 60MB full & ~ 20 MB empty. anyway, i copied my documents for the year 2005 (~10MB) onto this CD and to my utter dismay, the CD now displays ~ 0.6 MB capacity that is totally full, occupied by folder for year 1995 ie i lost folders from 1996 to 2004, & the photos, & the 2005 folder that i just copied! what has happened? please help me to retrieve these lost data, if it is possible.
thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You must be gutted, I know the feeling. It must be said, however, that it was not wise of you to use re-writable discs for precious data backup. Such data should be entrusted only to CD-R when you've accumulated enough data in a backup partition to fill a CD-R disc in one closed session, and even then I make two copies just in case. CD-RW media should only be used for short-term backups or for transferring data from one PC to another.

I think your best bet now is to try a commercial application which claims to be able to retrieve data from optical discs. There is a free trial of one here, though it doesn't say what limitations the free trial has.:
http://www.cdroller.com/index.html

pkdd210

pkdd210

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
dear pip22,

thank you for your reply. yes, i was gutted.

thank you for your 2 advices:

1) i never knew that it was better to back up using CR-R than CD-RW. in fact, i thought the reverse!
2) i had a free trial of the cdroller - it told me that my files could be retrieved but to proceed, i need to pay.

just to update you, i went to work today and put in the "defective" CD-RW into my office CD reader and guess what! it could be read & therefore copied out! by stroke of luck, only one out of many CD readers at my work place could read it.

so there's a happy ending but i am still very grateful to you. moral of the story for me is
1) don't back up using CD-RW
2) if one CD reader doesn't read your disk, try a few others
3) if anything similar happens again, don't throw the defective disk away because there are softwares such as cdroller that can retrieve all these invaluable data and memories.

pip22,thanks again.