Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Explorer closing at any actions!

• Please log in to reply

Doomed_to_a_pathetic_computer

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I have no idea what happened, I was playing Counter Strike Source and my computer crashed in the middle of a game. When I rebooted, nothing seemed wrong. Once I logged on, it seemed normal, until I tried to open Firefox, a window saying that Windows Explorer crashed popped up. And no, it's not Firefox that caused the crash. Whenever I click on the task bar or anything on the desktop, it crashes, it even crashes when I hit something on the keyboard. I can open task manager and close stuff, but when I try to use "Run," Task Manager crashes.

I managed to trick Windows into opening Firefox by having the error message take me to their "Privacy policy on error collection data."

Advertisements

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Tried a system restore? Does this happen in safe mode? Post back.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Safe mode works, I forgot to mention that. I don't even know if I should system restore because I have no idea what I may lose if I do one. Or am I mistaking system restore for backup?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I did some research on System Restore, I'm going to try a system restore and I'll tell you if it works or not.

By the way, could it have something to do with the fact that I was button mashing the Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock all at once while I was waiting for the next map to load?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
System Restore will not effect your data, it will just roll back the registry...this would be the first option to try.

If you open Firefox with the Start menu, there is an option for a Safe Mode version of Firefox that will often work when the full version will not...just an FYI.

Try the system restore...if that doesn't work, we'll look at a few things and see if we can figure out what went awry.

wannabe1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Alright, the system restore failed. I do have one idea. I think DAEMON goofed. DAEMON is also the only program I can click in in the task bar without it crashing (most of the time) since this whole problem started. I had it set to four drives and whenever I restart the computer, it reverts to one drive. It also remembers which images I had mounted. I think it goofed because it's trying to remember the images for drives that aren't set up. What do you think?

I can't open the start menu, explorer crashes if I click on the task bar or any folders on the desktop. And Firefox is working perfectly right now, just opening it is a problem because of the desktop, task bar, quick launch and start menu crashing.

EDIT: I managed to start AVG and I'm doing a virus scan. I also tried closing DAEMON tools, but the computer is still unstable.

Edited by Doomed_to_a_pathetic_computer, 25 February 2007 - 04:54 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
AVG picked up a change in the shell32.dll which may have something to do with what has gone on, what do you think?

Also, I'm still waiting for someone to reply to my idea that DAEMON is goofing on me.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'd venture a guess that Daemon is the root of the problem. Can you disable it or uninstall it and see if the stability returns?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I'd have to reboot into safe mode, but I'll give it a try.

And the virus scan found no viruses.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I uninstalled and reinstalled DAEMON tools and the problem ((EDIT)) is seems to be ((End EDIT)) gone. But I'm not quite sure if that was the problem because after I uninstalled it, I shut the computer down and removed a case fan that was making weird noises.

Could a faulty case fan cause that much trouble? Or was it something with DAEMON?

Edited by Doomed_to_a_pathetic_computer, 25 February 2007 - 07:47 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Overheating can cause similar symptoms, but in this case, I's almost guarantee it was the DAEMON tools messing things up.

Let me know if it acts up again any time soon...