Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with memory stick ...

• Please log in to reply

bosox07

bosox07

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can a computer track,without proper software, what has been downloaded or saved to a memory stick?

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
you mean what has been on the mem card before and has been erased?

bosox07

bosox07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
meaning if i save excel doc's to my memory stick, is there anywhere in the computer to tell me what i downloaded onto the stick and when? its not erased, i recently left a company and to cut through the b.s. they were doing illegal things and i saved it to my memory stick in case [bleep] hit the fan...can they tell if i did that?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
no, not that i know of, unless there is some tracking program i havent heard of. so you should be safe lol.

techie4fun

techie4fun

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I'm sure they would be able to easily track what you had on your USB device with proper software, but without the drive in the computer, they wouldn't be able to open up the file to see what the document contained. You never know... they could have a program running in background that would be taking screenshots while you had the document opened. But I think thats an invasion of privacy and I think they would bring it up to you first before going behind your back.

Edited by techie4fun, 26 February 2007 - 08:50 AM.

techie4fun

techie4fun

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Can a computer track,without proper software, what has been downloaded or saved to a memory stick?

Not without proper software.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-bosox07-[Tracking USB Memory Files]-26th FEB-2007

Welcome to - Geeks to Go -

meaning if i save excel doc's to my memory stick, is there anywhere in the computer to tell me what i downloaded onto the stick and when? its not erased, i recently left a company and to cut through the b.s. they were doing illegal things and i saved it to my memory stick in case [bleep] hit the fan...can they tell if i did that?

I would say – Yes – Even if they were just using – Home PCs – And employing normal File recovery techniques & Excel Application File Backup data links -

They could very well have a list of – the Compromised Named Excel Files – With Date & Times – and could even possibly identify – a User – that copied these files to an Unrecognized Destination – Depending if User had a sign in procedures in place – Just match the Files Dates & Times with User info - They would not be able to recover the copied files - but would have the links -

If a good IT had access to the PC used – coupled with questioning co-workers – The IT could have compiled enough information – So that the Company could make threats – And if they could recover – VID or PID IDENT Device Codes – through Device Manager – The Destination Device – could be identified –

Without employing any – Encryption Data Security Techniques - I think you are pretty well exposed -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 26 February 2007 - 06:51 PM.