Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! I CAN'T FIND THE MODEM

• Please log in to reply

goofi44

goofi44

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I reinstalled Windows XP on my system which went well, or so I thought. I went to put my internet disk in and was told that there is no modem detected. So I went to phone/modem and clicked add modem, install. It says it is there but then I get a message saying that the post is interupted or something along that line. Am using hubby's old system now and I would like to get mine back up. I do not know what I did wrong? I was given a bunch of CDs with my system: tools, drivers, applications and resource CD. I tried installing all CDs but it said there was no need as it was all covered in the reource CD. So I went back and started from scratch and just installed the Resource CD. It still said the same thing so I again tried to install from the phone/modem program. Same thing. Please help this system is very important to me. here are the specs:
Dell Dimension 4600, 512 MB Pentium 4 Service Pack 1 with Windows XP.
Thank you

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First you need to tell us how you are connecting to the Internet. If you are on a high speed connection and using a router or gateway you may not need the modem you may be trying to make the wrong kind of internet connection. If you are on a router or gateway it acts as part of a local area connection and you will need to make a LAN connection.

goofi44

goofi44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am using dial up to get to peoplepc internet

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
See if one of these drivers is yours under the Communication tab.

http://support.dell..../...=WW1&osl=EN

goofi44

goofi44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
nothing showing on my system but I know it is suppose to be Conexant/Asus SmartHSFi V92 56K PCI Modem
I looked in control panel and in Communication under network connections too

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go to the link that ultimateslacker2 provided. On the Dell page, click the + next to "Communications"...your driver is the third one down. Download and install that driver and your modem should be detected again.

wannabe1

goofi44

goofi44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I would do that but I cannot get online with that system to download it to that system. I appreciate you all helping me though, any other suggestions?
Thank you

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello there.

Is the PC you are on now have a CD-Burner or a floppy drive?

millerman996

millerman996

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
If so you can download that file to the desktop and burn that file to a cd or a floppy disk and just install it on your pc. Everything should work fine from here on out for you.

goofi44

goofi44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It is suppose to have a cd writer in it so I will try that and let you all know what happens. I did not know you could download and burn a modem and drivers from one system to another. Thanks so much for all your help. If this doesn't work, I will see if I can get someone else to do it for me.
Thanks again.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
O.K.

Tell us how everything goes :whistling:

goofi44

goofi44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok guys, I downloaded it to computer, burnt it to a cd, popped it into my computer and extracted it to my desktop then to a folder. I tried to open and run but must be doing something wrong, still no modem. Any ideas?
Thanks
Marti

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Go back to the device manager. See any ! or ? marks there in yellow?

goofi44

goofi44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yes, there are a bunch of the yellow ?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
So you ran this