Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Monitor

• Please log in to reply

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello,

This is similar to a previous post, but rather then looking for a bargain, I'm looking for performance. I've been using run down CRTs that were phased out from my office for years, and the painful blurriness has finally gotten the best of me.

Rather then doin this half-way, I'm planning on going all out...almost. I'm willing to spend up to $500.00 before taxes on this baby, but I want to make sure I do this right with such a pricetag.

Firstly...Widescreen or Standard? More and more, retailers are pushing the widescreens, but how much grief will this cause in the long run. I like the idea of having a widescreen, but if it's gonna interfere with future gaming, I'd rather have a standard monitor.

Second, size does matter...hehe. I want nothing smaller then 20", but nothing drastic like a 26"...I am afterall, sitting right in front of the thing. I see that 20" (20.1 sometimes) & 22" seem to be the standards. Is there one I should aim towards? Size does matter, but not at the cost of quality. I want perfection.

Third...Brand names...I know the big names...Viewsonic, LG, etc. A lot of the referals I see on forums though tend to push names that are a little less known to me. What should I look for companywise, or should I ignore the titles and just at specs.

4th. Specifics. If you know the monitor for me, PLZ TELL ME! hehe. The more precise the info I can get, the happier I'll be. At least I wouldn't be beating myself up about it...just someone I've never met (i.e. you!)...lol

Plz help, this noob doesn't wanna regret his purchase!

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Widescreen will not affect future gaming. I have a widescreen LCD and 75% of the games i play support widescreen resolution. Most of those are new games. Playing much older games such as diablo II or warcraft could look slightly distorted.

BabyTech

BabyTech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks Titan8990. At least that kinda settles the widescreen issue. I was kinda thinking the same thing, but it still worries me a bit. It even still worries me slightly with widescreen TVs, but I think I'm just stuck in my old ways.

Anyone else have some input on this or the other questions I had?