Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MySQL Question

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everybody,

I'm busily trying to learn how to make MySQL work. Trying to improve my Geekness :whistling: as I go so to speak.

As a newbie to all of this stuff I don't have much of a grasp on the jargon that's used in most of the instructions that I'm reading and I know that will cause me to ask a lot of questions that will make me sound really blond.

I have downloaded and installed MySQL as a Windows service. I don't know if that was the right way to do it or if I should have installed it as a manual service but I guess I'll figure that out as I go.

Anyway, I was going cross-eyed reading through the manual when I ran across this statement --> "When run as a service, mysqld has no access to a console window."

Hence my questions: What is a console window? Is that the same thing that I get by doing the Start > run > cmd > Enter thingy? If it isn't then how do I get to it?

Sorry about sounding so dumb here.

Wendy

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
start>run>cmd is the console window.

You need to run it as a service to be able to use if from PHP and the like.

Did you really need to start yet another thread? You could have asked in any number of others you are getting help in.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I was kind of thinking that was what it might mean but I wasn't sure.

oops! Sorry I just started another thread because it seemed to me like I might be straying too far away from the original topic in the other threads. I thought that was what I was supposed to do.

You can close this one if that'll make life any easier as I have gotten the answer to my question and this issue has been resolved.

Thanks,

Wendy