Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zune - WinXP SP2

• Please log in to reply

CWT

CWT

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
DEAR GTG -

We have a new Zune in the family. Yah!!!

The software won't install. Yuck!

At the request of Microsoft Zune help I...

- Updated WINXP
- Rolled back and reinstalled Media Player
- Installed IE 7

To no avail. The error is still the same. I have even gone into administrator and opened up access to this folder. However, it still indicates a "read only" access (grey checkmark, not black) when I view the properties of this folder.

Here is the error message.

Product: Zune -- Error 1303. The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My MusicZuneSyncPlaylists. The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator.

How do I get this software to install?

Help needed quickly - the Zune belongs to my teenage daughter!

:whistling: - CWT

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The user account you are logged in to when installing Zune has to be a "Computer Administrator" type of account. That's what the message is telling you. Change the account type from "limited" to "computer administrator" in Control Panel->User Accounts. You will need to log in to an existing computer admin account to do this. Or you can leave that account "as is" and log in to an existing computer admin account and install the software. You are bound to have at least one such account already since Windows always makes the first account you create an admin one.

Edited by pip22, 26 February 2007 - 01:45 AM.

CWT

CWT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Dear PIP22 -

The account I am using is an administrator account. It shows this on the "Users" section in control panel. In addition, I have added all my software through this account with no problem. There are actually three accounts listed as administrator.

So, it is doubly frustrating when the error indicates something wrong that when checked is actually "right". That is it is "right" unless there are other, more obscure controls on administrator rights.

Is there anything else I should check/change?

Thanks
- CWT

CWT

CWT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
:help: :)

Good News -

I started looking into security of specific folders and I solved the problem. I hit F8 when XP started up, went to the offending folder and made sure the access to that folder was same as all the other users. I played around with it enough to understand it and Presto! - we could load the software.

For some reason, one user's files were locked out of Adminstrator control. It appears this was the problem.

Thanks for your help.

GTG - you may close this topic.

CWT

:whistling:
:blink:
:help: