Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restore Boot Screen

• Please log in to reply

mridang_agarwal

mridang_agarwal

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I installed this utility called XPize and it messed up my boot screen. Insted to the normal bot screen with the windows logo and the scrolling progress bar, I get a full screen boot screen. I can't see any console messages like those defragment ones etc - How do i restore my old boot screen manually.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
You can customize it in the XPize or remove the program.

mridang_agarwal

mridang_agarwal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
We'll i dont want to remove XPize. Is there a way to do it manully?

mridang_agarwal

mridang_agarwal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Okay, I ran XPize and chose the option to remove the bootscreen. Now I dont get 'any' bootscreen just and empty black screen. I heard all these bootskin applications have to do with modifying the NTOSKRNL.EXE file. Can i just a get a fresh copy of that file and replace mine? Would it work? I am also not bale to see any of those DOS messages that you could see after the boot screen. Why is that?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I am not sure, I used to use the program, but is there a way to restore the boot screen?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
You should uninstall and reinstall it. When you reinstall it, use a custom install and you can untick the boot screen.

HTH

mridang_agarwal

mridang_agarwal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
tried that. I still get the blank black screen. I guess some other boot skin application has modified the NTOSKRNL.EXE. If one of you send me the file and i replace mine with yours, would it work?