Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

kb891711 security update

• Please log in to reply

tanramion

tanramion

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
during one of my anti-spyware removal sagas with se.dll and cws.... i chanced upon kb891711 as one of my suspects for hijacking inet explorer and relaunching the se.dll virus during every start-up.... i ended up deleting kb891711.exe 'coz some folks in a forum that i've read about se.dll removal said that i should do a scan with dr. watson, and from there i'll know what program makes my pc go loco...

but when i cleaned up that vicious spyware.... i was dumbfounded to learn that kb891711.exe is actually a windows update that I downloaded from windows update... geez... how stupid of me!

so what's the deal here? i'm just wondering if that update is ok or not. and why does dr. watson detect it? what shall i do?

just curious if i have to do something... i'm experiencing no trouble at this time... jyst curious...

--------
Windows KB891711 component has altered Windows system files.

Module Name: KB891711.EXE
Description: Windows KB891711 component
Version: 4.10.2222
Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
--------

just wondering.... hehe :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
kb891711 is a windows update, yes.

It is, however, causing problems with windows 9x based machines. Microsoft is aware of this, but is at the moment recommending that users still use it as only a small minority of machines have problems.

So, I recommend that people keep it if installing it doesn't lead to instability.

tanramion

tanramion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
ok thanks! :tazz: