Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Not booting

• Please log in to reply

noor parkar

noor parkar

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Dear all,
here is my problem

I powered on the system. Everything powered on. showing display on the monitor.but only hp invent logo on the dekstop machine.
sometimes it is showing only one blinking cursor(-) like this.nothing is happening after that.

there are no beeps.
there is no indication or status messages showing on the screen.
status messages here means no bois information i cannot go to bois when i switch on the machine.
Processor also running.
only a blink cursor i can see.
what to do.
i chaned the battery cell of cmos also but still problem.

thanks.
noor
UAE

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello.

Does this always happen?

Do you have a XP cd?

noor parkar

noor parkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
yes i have XP CD

i cannot boot from it.

bcoz it is not taking

when i press switch on button in the front of the PC. there is display on the monitor but a black cursor only.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
OK we need to reset the bios by taking out the battery.

Open up your computer case. On your motherboard, there should be a little battery. It looks something like this.

When taking it out, leave it out for a hour. After one hour, put it back in, put the case back on and try booting again.

noor parkar

noor parkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
ok
i already checked it but not for an hour.
actually i checked replacing battery of another computer with this computer. without extra waiting.
ok i will try for an hour and reply back
it didn't work

noor

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
This is odd. I am thinking the harddrive has some bad sectors on it.

We may need to clear the CMOS jumpers. Give me a little time to look it up as my internet is being very laggy as of the moment and it takes forever to post.

noor parkar

noor parkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
dear friend

still it is not working...

here i want to give more information

when i am removing power cable from the power supply at the back of the case. and keeping 15 minutes as not connected.

after 15 minutes when i am switching it on. the display is coming but it is counting the memory and again the same blank cursor.
if i am switching it on again there is no display at all.( i need to wait 15 minutes and also power cable disconnected)
further if i am disconnecting the RAM then there is beep as usual. it means post is working isn't it. processor fan also running.
strange problem

what could be it is..board
note : i can replace the board it is in warranty
further there is no power to ps2 keyboard which is connected
the moment i am switching ON the computer there is blink on the keyboad after that nothing

noor

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
What kind of motherboard do you have?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try to get into your bios...usually by tapping the delete key...no joy ...try a different power supply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

dear friend

still it is not working...

here i want to give more information

when i am removing power cable from the power supply at the back of the case. and keeping 15 minutes as not connected.

after 15 minutes when i am switching it on. the display is coming but it is counting the memory and again the same blank cursor.
if i am switching it on again there is no display at all.( i need to wait 15 minutes and also power cable disconnected)
further if i am disconnecting the RAM then there is beep as usual. it means post is working isn't it. processor fan also running.
strange problem

what could be it is..board
note : i can replace the board it is in warranty
further there is no power to ps2 keyboard which is connected
the moment i am switching ON the computer there is blink on the keyboad after that nothing

noor

are you getting the blinking underscore (_) after the boot up bios display? or is it instant after counting ram? if it is after the bios boots then its a problem with xp or your hdd

noor parkar

noor parkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
DEAR ALL,

THIS MACHINE IS HP branded
dx6120M/P4-640/80hfc/512K/4 ALL

when i switched ON the PC there are no bois messages at all. the moment i switch on the computer the first screen coming up is counting RAM at the same time on the left hand side there is blink cursor (_) like this. after RAM IS counted there is blink cursor only.

also note that RAM IS counted only if i kept machine disconnected from the main power supply for 15 minutes.
otherwise there is no display at all as said previously.
i cannot go to bois since there are no messages at all.
thanks
noor

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you say the board is still under warranty...then the whole system is still under warranty..contact HP support