Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installed new motherboard... Windows XP wont boot

• Please log in to reply

metapaco

metapaco

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just had to replace my mobo due to some bad caps, the new board is comparable to the old (on-board graphics, sound most is the same). The new one does have a different chip set (nVidia) and after I installed and checked all my connections Windows stops and gives me a screen to run chkdsk /F and check for viruses. I guess my big problem is that my Compaq PC did not come with a System Restore Disk or Windows XP disk so I have no way to change or get anywhere...does anyone have any advice as what to try? Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Borrow an XP CD from somebody else. You only have two options at this point: Repair the existing installation or wipe it and put a new one on. You cannot just shut down XP on one motherboard, shove a new one in, power it up and expect it to work, it will fall over as its tailored to the old board. Therefore you need to repair/wipe it to get it to talk to the new board.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Borrow an XP CD from somebody else. You only have two options at this point: Repair the existing installation or wipe it and put a new one on. You cannot just shut down XP on one motherboard, shove a new one in, power it up and expect it to work, it will fall over as its tailored to the old board. Therefore you need to repair/wipe it to get it to talk to the new board.

sometimes it will work, but when you make a major change between chipsets and brands it throw's it off.