Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox

• Please log in to reply

rlprlp

rlprlp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. I have been having a problem with FF for about two or three weeks now, that also continued after updating to the new version the other day. Whenever I set FF to load a home page on start-up, after about three to ten seconds, FF will freeze for about five seconds or so. For example, as soon as I open FF, I will immediately begin to scroll slowly up and down my home page, regardless of what I choose for a home page. The page will scroll for a few seconds, then suddenly stop. After about five seconds or so, it will instantly "jump" in whichever direction I was scrolling. The entire browser freezes during this moment; another experiment I have tried is to quickly open bookmarks and move my mouse pointer slowly up and down over and over along the list. The same thing. This also happens with typing. If I continue to type, after the freeze, everything I typed will suddenly "pop" into the search bar. A third experiment I tried was to quickly open the start menu over FF and roll my mouse up and down the "All Programs" list. This does not freeze, and I am assuming it is because it is not part of the FF program. The only time that this does not happen is when I set FF to open to a blank page upon start-up. I have been using FF for quite some time now, and have never seen this before until a few weeks ago. It's quite annoying, because I have to just sit here and "wait it out" for about any where from fifteen to twenty seconds before I can begin to do anything, otherwise I will be in the middle of something when it freezes. I clear my cache and other logs/histories on a regular basis. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I know you stated you reinstalled FF, but did you delete all the FF folders after removing it before you reinstalled.

FF shouldn't be locking up and if it's really a FF problem, then a reinstall should clear things up. Uninstall FF again and delete the following folders...

C:\Documents and Setting <your user name>\Application Data\Mozilla
C:\Documents and Setting <your user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

Also, go to C:\Windows\Prefetch and delete all the contents. DO NOT delete the Prefetch folder itself, only the contents.

When you're done, reinstall FF, restart your machine, and see if that helps. (the restarting is only to clear out any prefetched junk that was already loaded)

EDIT: This is what I get for reading too many posts! I'm sorry, but after replying and rereading your post, I noticed yours was not the one that reinstalled FF. In any case, if you remove and reinstall FF as I state above, it might help.

Edited by makai, 01 March 2007 - 07:53 PM.