Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Error & Virtual Memory Too Low

• Please log in to reply

Susan9700

Susan9700

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
When I turn my computer on, after XP has loaded, I get a black screen with the following message: "A problem with the hard drive has been detected. Consult the Troubleshooting section of your user's manual. Press the Enter key to continue."

This didn't just start, it's been going on for about 2 months, but I just press the Enter key and go about my business. However, there have been times when I've gotten the message with the option of using Safe Mode. And today, I got some blue page but could not read it, it didn't stay up long enough to read.

Also, today, after just loading XP and coming here to this site, having one program open, I got another message on my task bar about virtual memory. It read as follows: "Windows - Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low" Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see Help". I know there are alot of things running in the background, perhaps as many as 37 programs. It takes almost 20 minutes for my computer to load everything. We turn it on and walk away and come back in 20 minutes and it's generally ready to use.

I'm not that literate with computers, I understand most things, but not alot of complicated computer talk. So if someone could help me in English and be patient with me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Susan

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hey susan, if you can get into safe mode do this for me.

In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Will do. I'll be right back.

Thank you.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I'll be waiting :whistling:

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
OMG....I am so sorry, but it took me this long to get back here or to restart my computer twice. And I have no idea what a BSOD error is.

I did what you told me, twice. The first time, I had a password under Owner, so when in Safe Mode I used Owner and not Administrator, and when I went to change the settings some message came up about being Administrator. So I restarted to take off the password, only I got a Windows Error message, which I got last week and put it into Word. Here is what it said:

The system has recovered from a serious error.

A log of this error has been created.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.

We have created an error report that you can sent to help us improve Microsoft Windows. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

To see what data this error report contains, click here.

Send Error Report Don’t Send

Error signature:
BCCode: 10000050 BCIP1 : 808D808C BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : 805634F2
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

Technical Information about the error report:
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER39f8.dir00\Mini022207-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER39f8.dir00\sysdata.xml

2-22-07

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TODAY: 2-26-07

Same Error Signature

(different Technical Information):

Technical Information about the error report:
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd91f.dir00\Mini022207-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd91f.dir00\sysdata.xml

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then I took the password off, went back into Safe Mode, did what you told me, under Administrator, rebooted and got nothing...except the low memory message and I hadn't done a thing yet.

However, when I tried getting to this site, I got a Windows Internet Explorer message saying Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://www.geekstogo.../.....Operation Aborted. I just "X'd" out of it and tried again and it worked.

Is that the BSOD error you were looking for? I'm about to lose my mind with this computer, the waiting and waiting is killing me, I could have cooked dinner while waiting!!!

Thanks again for your help.

Susan

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Sorry, but this is not the error I was looking for :whistling:

The error usually is when the system pops up with a blue screen and tells you Windows has shut down to prevent further damage to your computer. Than it tells you all these numbers and letters and all those other goodies. Did it just reboot when you turned off auto restart?

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Did it just reboot when you turned off auto restart?

Yes, it did...along with the black page I mentioned at first. Did I do something wrong?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
No not at all :whistling:

By the way, do you have a XP CD, there is something else I want to try.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Yes, I do have the XP CD...just tell me what to do with it.

Are you also able to tell me what programs I can shut off at start up, I believe there are 37 processors running in the background, only problem is that I don't understand what each one is!

Waiting on you.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Whew 37!?!?

Well we can use the XP cd at a later time. Let's run this first. You should go cook dinner at this one :whistling:

Click Start
Click Run
Type cmd

Type the following line in the prompt!

chkdsk /f /r

The prompt will say the volume is locked and will ask to run on reboot. Type Y

Restart the computer and the chkdsk should start. It will take a long time so be patient :blink:

Edited by ultimateslacker2, 26 February 2007 - 01:06 PM.

Advertisements

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Perhaps starting dinner isn't a bad idea! I've run chkdsk before and I know it takes a while...perhaps a nap!

I'll be back.

Thansk :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Your welcome!

Have a nice nap :whistling:

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Wow, some weird stuff happened, but I think I found you that BSOD page you were looking for.

I did as you told me with the Run, command stuff for chkdsk and upon restart, chkdsk just popped up for a second, good thing I was looking....it said "The volume is clean"...which was weird because it didn't take 4 hours. However, as computer restarted automatically, I got a blue page with lots of information. Here goes:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NOPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you have seen this stop screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware of software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, as your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows update you might need.

If problems continue, disable any newly installed hardware and software. Disable BIOS memory options, such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 Advanced Startup Options and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x00000050 (0x808D808C, 0x00000000, 0x805634F2, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump completed.
Contact your system administrator or the technical support group for further assistance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This, I assume is much like the blue page I saw earlier today, only that one didn't stay around long enough to read it. I had to shut down the computer because there was no other way of getting rid of the blue page. And when it started back up, low and behold, the real chkdsk started. Once it was done, the computer rebooted and another chkdsk started, only this was the same as the first on, a quick one that reported "The volume is clean" and quickly disappeared. Then the computer restarted again...and here I am.

Was this the info you were looking for? Hope some of this info helps you to help me! No nap...multi-tasking today!

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hahah no nap.

Here is what I found in our database.

Stop 0x00000050 or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

The Stop 0x50 message indicates that requested data was not in memory. The system generates an exception error when using a reference to an invalid system memory address. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause Stop 0x50 messages.

Possible Resolutions:

• If you added new hardware recently, remove and replace the hardware to determine if it is causing or contributing to the problem. Run diagnostics software supplied by the hardware manufacturer to determine if the component has failed.

• Stop 0x50 messages can also occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If the file name is listed, you need to disable, remove, or roll back that driver. If not, disable the recently installed service or application to determine if this resolves the error. If this does not resolve the problem, contact the hardware manufacturer for updates. Using updated drivers and software is especially important for network interface cards, video adapters, backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools. If an updated driver is not available, attempt to use a driver from a similar device in the same family. For example, if printing to a Model 1100C printer causes Stop 0x50 errors, using a printer driver meant for a Model 1100A or Model 1000 might temporarily resolve the problem.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
OK...I have no idea what you just said. :whistling:

I have not recently installed any new software or especially hardware. I have an external hard drive and digital camera from Christmas, but that's just a temporary thing, shows up when you are using it, goes away when you are not. I will check my Program Files to see if something new has been added by my son, a good possibility and I will check in the Add/Remove area.

Otherwise, I need English...I'm not that computer lliterate. :blink:

Thanks for expanding in English for me!