Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Error & Virtual Memory Too Low

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
First, the ram that you have, 256 MB, is rather small for any xp running computer and, regardless of the present problem, I would suggest that you at least double it up.

Please disconnect from the imtenet and disable spyware soctor. See if there is any significant difference (usually you get a disable option when right-cklicking the program icon in the task bar at the bottom of the screen). When I talk about an idling computer I mean a computer in which all initial processes were already ended. For example, if your antimalware softwares are set to perform a scan after bootup and if the scan is of all files, it can take a very long time until everything quiets down. In "real" idle, when you look at task manager almost all processes should show 0% cpu usage and system idle shoyld be around 98%.

If you suspect that IE 7 started the slowdown try to ununstall it in Add/Remove programs in control manager. This should roll you back to IE 6.

Just forgot: The blue page you got with PageDefrag is all you are supposed to get. It disappears very quickly if no defrag problems exist in page and system files. It doe's not perform full defrag of the HD.

Edited by The Skeptic, 12 March 2007 - 11:17 PM.

Advertisements

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

First, the ram that you have, 256 MB, is rather small for any xp running computer and, regardless of the present problem, I would suggest that you at least double it up.

I purchased the computer 3 yrs ago with 256MB of RAM and XP pre-installed on it. Shouldn't this memory thing with XP be the manufacture's problem and not mine?

Please disconnect from the imtenet and disable spyware soctor.

Already did this, it has been disabled for quite some time now, as it never allows me on any websites.

When I talk about an idling computer I mean a computer in which all initial processes were already ended. For example, if your antimalware softwares are set to perform a scan after bootup and if the scan is of all files, it can take a very long time until everything quiets down. In "real" idle, when you look at task manager almost all processes should show 0% cpu usage and system idle shoyld be around 98%.

None of my antimalware programs are set to run at boot. I use them all manually. So those numbers I gave you, still stand.

If you suspect that IE 7 started the slowdown try to ununstall it in Add/Remove programs in control manager. This should roll you back to IE 6.

I'm not confident that this is the right approach. Once I ended up with ver. 7.0, and I immediately hated it, I did a lot of research on "the new IE 7.0" and most of what I read was that you cannot just add/remove it and you also cannot get back IE 6.0. Apparently the only way to get rid of 7.0 is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall IE 6.0 from your manufacturer's installation disk.

Just forgot: The blue page you got with PageDefrag is all you are supposed to get. It disappears very quickly if no defrag problems exist in page and system files. It doe's not perform full defrag of the HD

You may have misread what I wrote. I never got a blue page with the PageDefrag, it didn't do a thing, I sat here and watched it, it just rebooted to the regular desktop.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The manufacturer offers certain specs. By buying the computer you agree to the specs and now it is your problem. 256 MB ram is very little.

Regarding Spyware Doctor: Why don't you just remove it? It's grinding your cpu. If you only use manual scanning use other, excellent programs like AVG Antispyware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware SE. Don't you keep nothing that gives real time protection? Not even antivirus? If this is the case then it's no good. My preference for antivirus is Avast! Are you sure your computer is clean of malware? If not, run scans.

Re Internet Explorer 7. This is a source of problems for many people. I suggest that you download Firefox and remove internet explorer from your system by Control panel > add/remove programs > add/remove windows components > uncheck Internet Explorer and confirm. Please note, that for reinstallation, if you ever want to do it you may need xp installation CD.

By replacing SD and IE you may get rid of two of the biggest resource users in your computer.

Re. PageDefrag: This is a marvelous little tool from microsoft. For reasons that I can't fathom not many people use it. Please try again to run it. It is very simple. If you can't run it then it may indicate for other problems.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You should find IE7 listed in Add or Remove Programs either listed as "Windows Internet Exlporer 7" of it will be listed among the security updates from Microsoft. Removing it should automatically revert you to IE6.

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Click the "Services" tab and put a tick in the box at the bottom to "Hide all Microsoft Services". Now remove the ticks from all that are left, Apply the change, and reboot.

You'll probably get the Selective Startup dialog again...

Let me know if you see a change in the way the machine runs this way.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hi Wannabe!

I'm going to have to wait until the morning to do this, my computer's been on all day therefore, it's running super duper slow....just like me! :whistling:

Also, could you tell me more about Firefox vs IE6? Seems all you techs have it listed in your list of links to click on. What's the difference between the two, if any?

Thanks...and will post in morning.

Susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I use Firefox (browser) and it's companion thunderbird (e-mail client like Outlook Express) and like them both. Firefox has tabbed browsing like IE7, but the browser has a lighter "feel" and is easy to use. There are lots of themes and add ons available, so it's highly customizable. And it's a fast browser...navigation is a snap.

I've liked Firefox better than IE since I started using it.

Let me know how the machine runs with these services disabled.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hi Wannabe,

Sorry, I had a side step to the hospital for a few days and they just wouldn't let me email you! :whistling:

I just downloaded Firefox, in the event that when I get rid of IE7, I may not have an IE6, altho I do trust you, something just tells me to have a back up just in case!

Going now to do the "msconfig" things and I'll post tomorrow, actually, today sometime and let you know how the puter is running. Also need to know more about these add ons for Firefox.

Thanks again!

Susan