Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop will not start

• Please log in to reply

santaklaus

santaklaus

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am using an Alienware Area 51 notebook, XP and SP2.
It started about 5 days ago...
My computer would not restart after downloading and installing a Windows Update. After pressing the power button, the keyboard lights come on and there is clicking noise from the CD/DVD drive. That's it, no POST, no fan noise, no harddisk activity, nothing. Then, after waiting for about 5 hours, it starts up normally and without any problems...
Trying to restart the system gives me again the same problem as described above. So, I ran Recovery Console from the Windows CD: FixBoot and FixMBR can not find the c-drive. CHKDSK, does not find any problems.
Then I reinstalled the OS, still same problem.
Lastly, I reset the BIOS, and still no change...
So, the problem is that after successfully starting the system and the shutting it down, my computer won't start up again, unless I leave it alone for about 5 hours, although this time period seems to increase now.

I hope you have some suggestions for me...thanks, klaus

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When restarting the computer after waiting for some hours is it working well? Can you run all your applications?

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Is it still under warranty?

santaklaus

santaklaus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I can run all applications after XP loads.
The computer is not under warranty anymore. Also, I now live in Bangkok, Thailand and would have to send the notebook to Florida for repair...
Thanks for your interest