Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

keyboard and mouse not working

• Please log in to reply

seaotter25

seaotter25

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: My first post...Cleaning my sis pc of bots and more...accidently shutdown pc
while downloading sp2.(think it was done) tried safemode but still unable to use mouse or keyboard...
Help! What should I do????

Advertisements

Kathryn

Kathryn

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Interrupting SP2 installation can be suicide. One of the guys here at work did it, and he had to reghost his drive. Have you tried booting up from a repair disk?

seaotter25

seaotter25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, thanks,
The computer boots up fine but the mouse and keyboard are inoperative. Can't do anything if I cannot input anything...

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
I don't believe this will suggestion is the answer, but it is an easy thing to try.

With the power off, disconnect the keyboard and mouse. Switch the power on and let the keyboard and mouse fail on bootup. You may get a warning message regarding the ps2 mouse. DO NOT install the ps2 devices with the power on. The ps2 connector is the small round 6 pin connector. Once it gets to a point where you can't do anything else, switch the power off. Connect the mouse to the port with the mouse symbol - if the keyboard and mouse become swapped, neither will work. Switch the power on. If the mouse works, shutdown normally, then reconnect the keyboard and switch the power on. Otherwise switch the power off, remove the mouse, connect the keyboard, then switch the power on.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
id reccomend simply getting the xp and run the rapair which will fix it all hopefully maybe even use the xp console to do a chkdsk dunno if that will work but repair should.

Kathryn

Kathryn

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
If you boot up into repair, windows should not even load. If you cannot hit F1 (or whatever your setup key is) when you turn it on and load the bios, then your ports have probably shorted out.

WHBonds

WHBonds

• Pip
  • 4 posts
[B]I had the same problem on a IBM Netvista, I cleared the CMOS, rebooted and both worked fine after that.

Hope it works for you!

seaotter25

seaotter25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, that did the trick... :tazz:
I'm back in business!

WHBonds

WHBonds

• Pip
  • 4 posts