Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem launching NIS 2007

• Please log in to reply

Koki

Koki

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have successfully installed Norton Internet Security 2007 (3times!!) but after "restart" the Norton button is missing from the bar and the desktop icon and All Programs start button will not launch the program. Everything else seems to be functioning (ex. fraud monitoring is on, etc.) but I cannot access the Protection Center or NIS. I have run AutoFix Tool several times and no issues were found. I have run full scans and no viruses were found. I even did a "clean boot" before uninstall and reinstall as recommended by Symantec, but nothing helps. Symantec keeps telling me the same things over and over. I've tried everything that was suggested. The Norton bar button disappears and the desktop icon and NIS button in All Programs list do not launch after the reboot at the end of LiveUpdate download and installation. If anyone can help me, please give simple, step by step information because I am a "novice" (although I am learning a lot !!) Thanks, Koki

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Unfortunately, Koki, Norton Internet Security is not a wise choice. It's memory requirements are quite high which slows down your PC, and while it's firewall may be impressive, it's anti-virus performance has recently been tested against the free AVG Anti-Virus, and AVG was the clear winner for dependable virus-detection. Computer Shopper said of this result "for a major retail av product to give such poor results is diabolical".

An alternative?

My own recommendation (and which I use myself) is "AVG Internet Security". Much less demanding on system resources, and no installation problems.
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1/uk/crp/0

Too bad you didn't ask about recommendations for Norton on this forum before deciding to buy it (unless you did. certainly wasn't me!)

Edited by pip22, 27 February 2007 - 05:17 AM.

Koki

Koki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks pip22. I wish I had talked to you before I bought NIS 2007 too! The computer had Panda Platinum 2005 on it when I "inherited" the computer from my husband, when he got a laptop. I had to make a choice about either renewing Panda or switching. NIS 2007 was recommended to me by another relative who is using Norton now, but not 2007. He has had no problems. Anyway, that's how I got here.

Symantec told me now that I may have a "corrupted" NIS file (whatever that means) and recommend replacing with another CD (return and swap if I can). Think it will do any good? I thought I might try uninstall and reinstall first one last time with what I have.

I appreciate your suggestion for the AVG. I may go there. Can it be bought in stores or must I download everything - I only have dial-up and you know it will take forever. I'm freaking out with all this technical stuff! I haven't been learning for very long. Thanks again for your help. If you think ofanything else, please tell me. Koki

Koki

Koki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Update to my problem. While "exploring" around my program and common files, I found an old Panda folder that STILL had something in it!! I reran the uninstall program for Panda and then the folder showed up empty. I rebooted and the next thing I knew my Norton bar button showed up!! And it works! and the desktop icon and All Programs button work!! So far evrything is OK. This was so simple, but took me 3 weeks to solve. Norton seems to be doing fine now.

Message to anyone having a similar problem: don't trust that your removal tool got everything, check yourself - look around - even rerun the removal. It cured the problem I was having , at least for now. Hope I haven't jinxed myself.

This is a great place to go for info and help! Bye, Koki