Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Dimensions 2350 Motherboard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Freenez

Freenez

• Pip
  • 3 posts
A friend of mine passed his Dell Dimensions 2350 motherboard to me. Was all excited to get it and build myself a computer better than the one I have. So I only have the motherboard and 512 meg ram, no system discs no case no documentation no power supply nothing. My first thought is to go and get a new case and adequate power supply. I get an ATX gaming case/power supply - the guy at the store said I'd have no problems, great.

I was able to install the motherboard into this new case - all holes lined up and it is all secure. Now I have all these wires from the front panel I/O, like power switch, reset switch, 2 usb front ports etc and no where to put them. This Dell mobo has absolutely nothing physically written on it to help me find where these connectors go, so I spend a couple hours at dellcommunity.com trying to find something which I did. I did find something on connecting the front panel power connectors. I go to try these recommended connections and the connectors from the case are too big for the mobo. And the case power switch is 2 pin connectors, others are 1 pin connector and they are just a hair too big also. Through this forum on dellcommunity.com, it is recommended to connect to the J24 connector - the atx case connectors are too big. Thinking I might be able to trim these down somehow to make them fit, I've broken one of them, crimped another and no telling to some of the others. Thinking that all hope is not lost, I've connected the ones I can and when I go to turn on the new case, I get absolutely nothing, no power no lights etc.

Does anyone have any helpful hints/solutions to this problem or am I just having a bad day :whistling: ? Thanks in advance for any efforts you might make to help me out.

Peace,
Paul

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
are you hooking the connector from the case straight up how you got it? if so there is your problem

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Closing Duplicate Topic. Original topic can be found HERE.

Fenor