Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD+RW Drive Not Writing

• Please log in to reply

Soulja

Soulja

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Dell Dimension 8300
Windows XP
P4 2.6GHz
512MB RAM
120G HD

Symptoms:
-DVD's do play-no problems at all
-In Device Manager it reads as _NEC DVD+RW ND 1100A
-Opened my case and the model reads the same as ^
-In MY COMPUTER->Empty Drive reads DVD/CD-RW
-Burning CD-R's I get all the way to the end then get an "unable to complete" error (possibly wrong format, laptop uses CD-R, this is a CD+RW so that may be the cause for the CD issue)

-DVD burn doesn't work at all- I try to use the send to E: function and the files appear in a ready to burn window. Load a DVD-R and the files disappear. Same happens if the DVD-R is in the drive to start. Try to send to E: and the files never appear.

I've tried re-installing drivers and no luck. Tried new firmware, but the firmware from _NEC does not want to recognize the drive.

Looking for any ideas to get this drive working. I had been using my laptop to burn my files to a CD to backup my PC, but the power jack gave out on me. I'd like to be able to dump all the excess but necessary info from my PC as my hard drive is at about 90% capacity. I need to free up space without losing essential files. (Lots of graphic design stuff taking up LOTS of room!!!)

Much love to anyone that can help dig up a fix to this thing!!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
A DVD+RW drive should be able to write to CD-R or CD-RW no problem. However, it may only be able to write to DVD+R/RW not DVD-R/RW.

Regardless, if you were using the wrong type of disc in the burner, it wouldn't even be able to start the burn process much less get nearly to the end of it, so we can discount that possibility.

Firmware updater not being able detect the drive (assuming it's an official NEC update) is not a good sign. Time to get out your wallet and treat yourself to a new one I think.

Soulja

Soulja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
UPDATE:

CD-R burning issue was a settings issue. Burn speed was set to fastest. Setting the speed to 4X did the trick.

DVD issue is still not going well. Got the firmware to take, must have been a fluke in the original download. I was able to upgrade to the latest by going directly to the NEC website instead of mirror downloads.

Your assesment on the burn issue makes me think that maybe I need to use JUST DVD+RW discs, despite the literature that says DVD+R will work. I'm going to pick up some +RW discs today and see if that does the trick. You had said if the disc is the wrong format it wouldn't even start the burn process, so I'm going to hold on to that $50 and see if this fixes the problem.

I appreciate your help though. I was on the verge of buying a pack of +RW discs yesterday but the info I was finding on the drive was telling me I could use +R and be ok. I hesitated. Your assesment on the burn process not even starting has given me confidence that the issue could be the format.

Soulja

Soulja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
purchased some sony brand DVD+RW discs last night and still the problem persists with the DVD burning side of the drive. As far as I can tell, the CD burning works, just not the DVD!

Any ideas?