Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-Rom Device

• Please log in to reply

myasam

myasam

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I cannot read disks on my CD-Rom drive (E). When trying to open, I receive a E:/Not accessible. Properties tells me all space is full, but no bytes. When I put a disk in it simply runs and my screen gives me a Fatal Error message and most everything goes black. How did I lose this drive? How can I restore this?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
CD-ROM drives have many moving parts, and are prone to failure. A replacement should run less than $30, even a CD/RW is under $50.

myasam

myasam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thank you so much. What is the difference between CD-Rom and CD/RW? If I go to Walmart or Staples with my pc model numbers, will they know what I need?

nichobemo

nichobemo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
If you have time on your hand...

remove the device and uninstall it the drivers, rebooting the system and checking that it is not recognized.

re-install the unit and let the os build the drivers.

I've seen updates to video and sound drivers have a similar impact. Also, if you have another system, you can install the cd in it and validate hardware vs setting..

myasam

myasam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thank you. I'm such a novice I'm not certain how to follow your direction. This is the dvd player in my hard drive. How do I remove, uninsstall drivers, reinstall the unit, etc.

nichobemo

nichobemo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok, I don't know that you should do this. has your warranty has expired? Is the computer is relatively new? If decide to attempt this, the kids/spouse shouldn't bet around and the dog should be outside playing in the yard <_<

If you get the drift, check with local Best Buy or Circuit City first... sometimes they have cd reader/ writer units for under $30.00 and will have a coupon for free install. This would take less time and be less stressful.

I'm a little shy of giving that much instruction. I've built everything from pc's to SAN's to multi-location phone systems with vpn, firewall and voip... but my caustion is now based on being the techie for family members and neighbors and seeing the you are refering to your computer case as a harddrive.

There are too many gotcha's for you to safely go down that path... not being harse, just years and years of building these things.

If you can't find a good deal at one of the stores, with free or cheap install coupon...

Look at this and reverse the instructions for un-installing and removing the drivers.

Please be careful... you can do some damage... remember to unplug the power cable.....

myasam

myasam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thank you again. I'm not offended. Thought this tower was the hard drive.

The kids are in school (2 teens), the spouse is at work, I'm recently unemployed so I have time to work on this unit while looking for another job. The two dogs are sleeping by the patio door for now.

My pc is a Compaq and it is approx. 4 years old. One day, when trying to play Roller Coaster Tycoon or Links, something happened and would not read the disks. Since I am not the primary player, I ignored complaints from my kids. But when trying to run the Microfost Word 2000 disk (help factors) while working in Word, everything goes to pieces.

Need to try to resolve this as I am not able to deal with an os that does not work completely. Any help you give to me is appreciated. I think you are all great and I'm promoting your sight.

nichobemo

nichobemo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
well, I'm not affiliated with them, I'm between as well.

Go to the store and buy a replacement on the cheap. As a techie, I'd spend 3 hours and come to one of two conclusions... either... hey, I fixed it... now open that bottle of wine... or, lets run to the store, this one is toast.

In the box will be instructions for installing the new one.. pictures and all. Buy from a place that will take it back if you open it.

if you have only a reader, buy only a reader... that works with your current OS.

I won't explain the reason for the return... you could have two other known issues and a new cd woud be not fix the situation.. but one step, small and easy... at a time.

You'll likely (please, me too...) be employed again soon and will look at buying a new unit.... so easy on the cash... cheap is better... and don't even think about going golfing!

myasam

myasam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thank you, Nichobemo! I'll do as you suggest with the cd reader. It may take a couple of days. I hope to follow up with you and let you know the results.

myasam

myasam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Nichobemo - I have finally installed a new cd-rom reader/writer. The installation was not that bad. I checked my system and it indicates everything is operating normally - but - when I put a disc in the system, it again locks up, and also gives me a fatal error. What can be wrong? What am I not doing or did not do?

myasam

myasam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
One more thing - could it be the drivers? I do not know how to check drivers and be certain they are working properly.