Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Thoughts on a USB 2.0 External HD

• Please log in to reply

richocki

richocki

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I was thinking of adding an external IOMEGA hard drive for storage of pictures and files. Any Pros or Cons on this type of HD? Can it coexist with two internal HDs?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

There shouldn't be any problems at all with it co-existing with the internal drives.
I don't have any personal experience of Iomega's USB hard drives myself (I still associate Iomega with Zip discs I'm afraid), but I'm sure they're as good as any other brand.

The only thing I would say in general about USB drives is:

1. Make sure you connect them straight to a USB port & not through a hub (not essential but can bypass a number of potential problems)

2. Don't depend solely on a USB drive for backing up any really important data. If any files are really important, make sure you backup them up to read-only media such as CD or DVD.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Thanks Samm for the reply. I am not set on the IOMEGA but it was the first one I came across in the store. I did not realize there was such a thing as a USB HD. Not sure what a USB Hub is but I have USB ports on the back of the computer and additional ones on the front. My concern was adding a third HD. I wasn't sure you could do that. Thanks for the info....