Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What kind of games will run on this system?

• Please log in to reply

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Gateway Notebook with AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 Model: MT6451
1GB PC5300 DDR2 memory
ATI RADEON XPRESS 1150 graphics with up to 256MB of HyperMemory
Vista Home Premium
$699 at Bestbuy
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to play BF 1942 and medal of Honor Allied Assault. Possibly BF Vietnam. Would these games be possible? Are there any issues with Vista?

I have one other question. I looked at this laptop today at bestbuy. I checked the system specs and the display tab showed the XPRESS 1150 as a Xpress 200. Is this a Vista driver problem or did they put the wrong graphics board in the New gateway?

thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You probably wont be able to play anything newer. Onboard graphics are not made for gaming. A laptop capable of gaming would be priced much higher than a PC capable of the same. Always check the specifications on games. Older games should play on there alright.

Edited by Titan8990, 28 February 2007 - 09:03 PM.

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
yep... you defiantly be able to play bf2142 on that system.... i have a over clocked pentium4 HT with 1gb..... ATI x300.... and i still have problems with it.... ( i know... my GFX card sucks.....) and the problems with vista is that it just came out... you will literally be a lab rat for them to test on... although i hope(hope being the keyword) that there wont be as many problems because of the delay. I don't think getting vista right now is a good option.. stick with XP pro... i mean... they are cheaper now... LOL!!!!

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
The X300 doesn't really suck, unless you got the standard one, not the Extreme AX300 SE-X

On that laptop, games that are made on the Unreal-1 engine, should play fine, games like UT(99), CoD, SoF, MoH:AA... stuff like that. I don't know about BF-2142, because it's a completly different engine.

These are the recommended specs, which means you can get the details and settings at just below middle.

Specs
Operating system: Windows XP with latest service pack installed
DirectX 9.0c February 2006 edition (included)
CPU: 3.0 Ghz
RAM: 1.5 Gb
Video Card: 256Mb DirectX compliant video card, Pixel shader 2.0 and above.
Hard Drive space: 1.8Gb of space is required to install the game
Internet connection: 512Mb Cable/DSL connection

If you are below this with anything, don't count on a reasonable framerate.
Besides, it's a laptop designed for powersaving...
You got 512MB short of recommended RAM, about 9% short on processor speed.(didn't count Ghz) andyou got Vista.

Before you run the game, select the

***EDIT***
Some more info that might shock you:

SUPPORTED VIDEO CHIPSETS WITH LATEST DRIVER VERSION INFO.

ATI

Driver tested: Catalyst v6.7 Windows XP

Radeon 9500/9700 series
Radeon 9550 series
Radeon 9600 series
Radeon 9800 series
Radeon X300 series (non integrated versions)
Radeon X600 series
Radeon X700 series
Radeon X800 series
Radeon X850 series
Radeon X1300 series
Radeon X1600 series
Radeon X1800 series
Radeon X1900 series

NVIDIA

Driver tested: Forceware v91.31 Windows XP

GeForce 5800 series
GeForce 5900 series
GeForce 6200 series
GeForce 6800 series
GeForce 7300 series
GeForce 7800 series
GeForce FX 5700 series
GeForce FX 5900 series
GeForce FX 5950 series

Please note that attempting to play the game using video hardware that isn’t listed above may result in reduced performance, graphical issues or cause the game to not run at all.
(Above info is from http://www.geekstogo...p/t127778.html)

Edited by IO-error, 07 March 2007 - 03:18 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You'll be able to play all the games you mentioned they are all pretty old and i think they should run fine no that system.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
oops... i wasnt reading right... sry i thought it said bf2142....... srry my bad... il read better next time :whistling:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
you won't be happy playing 2142. You will only be able to play it on low settings and even then it will be slow and choppy. bf2142 is both a graphics and cpu hog.

keep in mind that the video is "shared" memory. Meaning that 256 megs reserved from SYSTEM memory. In other words that only leaves 768 megs for the rest of your system.

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I loaded Quake III arena and it ran perfectly. I will install Medal of Honor and BF 1942 tonite and see how it runs.