Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help (PC won't turn on)

• Please log in to reply

AngelWingzX

AngelWingzX

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi,

For a week now my computer has been acting weird for a bit. Now it has gotten worse.
A few days ago my computer suddening froze then the rate sta rted to increase. And one time while trying to start up my computer the harddrive was failed to be detected so i wondering if it was a harddrive problem. When it freezes it kind of different to the other time when it froze. It froze but then would turn back to normal after like 1 minutes then it woud free again after like 30 seconds then unfreeze again etc for around 5 minutes unless i rebooted it. It eventually would reboot itself though. Now its gotten worse and closes after like 30 seconds of being turned on even before window gets loaded. My friend said it was a harddrive problem so i just want to make sure before i do anything else. Because last time another problem occured where my computer kept restarting and after checking it and everything it turned out that my computer was just dusty, but this time i cleaned it properly.

Summary: For those who like to get to the point
A week ago:
*Computer starts to freeze randomly
* Freeze for 1 mins turns back to normal then freezes again for a period of 5 mins then eventually reboot itself
* One harddrive was failed to be detected during startup

Now:
* Turns off whichin 30 seconds of booting. Even before windows.

I'll greatly aprreciate help.
Thank you for your time and help =),
AWX

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hey there.

Do you tend to have a XP CD? I am thinking this may need a simple chkdsk. How old is the harddrive?

AngelWingzX

AngelWingzX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi thnx for teh quick reply =).

I might have to do some work on finding that window disk.
Hmm.... i replaced my motherboard, fan and upgraded ram like a couple months ago but the rest of teh stuff i'd say is around maybe 2 years old.
Its a 200 gib harddrive if that helps anyway, most likely it won't ^,^ maybe for dating purposes?I spent over around $500 to fix it >___> i shoulda just bought a new one lol. Those serves sure cost a lot, add it all together and i would be more than buying a new computer that superior. ='(....

I'll start looking for the cd asap =)

Thanks for suggestion and help,
AWX

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
OK Its no problem. Let me know when you find that disk :whistling: \

By the way if you cannot find it, would you happen to have a floppy drive?

AngelWingzX

AngelWingzX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes i have a floopy drive =) Even though i'm sure it full of dust ^,^....
I don't think i've ever ever usen it before but i know it works. =)

Thnx,
AWX

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Make sure it works. You have to make bootable disks so we can access the Recovery Console.

Here is the link.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994