Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Support Question

• Please log in to reply

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I'm not sure if I can ask this, but all the techs here seem very computer smart and intelligent, I was wondering what you guys would recommend to use for remote support? VNC... or anything like that, if so please provide a link, I dont want to use things that cost $100's of dollars/monthly...

Edited by Cameron2010, 27 February 2007 - 03:30 PM.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I am unsure of what you are asking. Do you want to sue somebody?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I believe he means use, and mis-typed it both times. He'd like to know what we recommend he use for remote support or access.

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Exactly sorry. I do that alot of times I ws in a hurry last night to get home, so I didn't edit..

But yes I was wodnering if anyone has ever used Any kind of Remote Support, its used by alot of support sites like for example dell uses something called Dell Connect, its like a enhanced version of VNC.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
You want a tech to remotely assist you?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i have an outside vendor that uses gotomeeting (i think it's powered by citrix...don't know for sure though)...and i've actually used it once here (me and wannabe1 worked a problem for somebody that we just couldn't get the info across to)...it's pretty effective...not sure on the pricing though...VNC is helpfull if you've got direct access to their PC through their modem/router/firewall whatever...

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

You want a tech to remotely assist you?

lol no, Im the one looking for a good affordable Remote Solution.

I dont knwo why you guys keep thinking I need help, im just asking for advice, and options.

This is in the forums" Serious Discussion" not I need PC Help...

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

i have an outside vendor that uses gotomeeting (i think it's powered by citrix...don't know for sure though)...and i've actually used it once here (me and wannabe1 worked a problem for somebody that we just couldn't get the info across to)...it's pretty effective...not sure on the pricing though...VNC is helpfull if you've got direct access to their PC through their modem/router/firewall whatever...

Right, yes I've talked with them and GoToMeetinghas alot of options inside it and might confuse the custumer.

I'm thinking about TightVNC, or Venti GoToAssist

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Why not use the free Remote Assistance built into XP & Vista? TightVNC works like a treat, btw.
Johanna

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Well the ones built in arent vista compatible, I think say I wanted you to help me, and your on XP I would have to be on P aswell. I think I may go with www.pchelpware.com

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think the biggest issue that you're going to see with this (from a support side) is the fact that you have no idea what the setup is of the people you'll be helping (i'm assuming you're doing a tech business deal...and not running a network)...which is why i suggested something like gotomeeting or the like....these systems don't care what the other computer is....since it's all web based....they go to a website...and load some activeX software...and you're in....they press a button or two and you've got control.....with VNC you have to get them to install it, make changes in their routers, hopefully there's some form of static IP etc.....

if you're serious about wanting to do remote support....something webbased is going to be the way to go...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I have been using logmein free for several years...generally works good but it will drop you occasionally...then you have to go thru the connecting process all over again ..a PITA but its free...customer has to install it but registering and installing it only takes about 5 minutes including training his firewall to allow the connection..you can get it here

Edited by happyrck, 02 March 2007 - 10:17 AM.

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

i think the biggest issue that you're going to see with this (from a support side) is the fact that you have no idea what the setup is of the people you'll be helping (i'm assuming you're doing a tech business deal...and not running a network)...which is why i suggested something like gotomeeting or the like....these systems don't care what the other computer is....since it's all web based....they go to a website...and load some activeX software...and you're in....they press a button or two and you've got control.....with VNC you have to get them to install it, make changes in their routers, hopefully there's some form of static IP etc.....

if you're serious about wanting to do remote support....something webbased is going to be the way to go...

well the pchelpware is compatible with all OS that we work with. And theres no router configuration, what we send them is a small .exe and its nnot a server, its just has 2 buttons Connect and Login the costumer only clicks connect and were in! But yes I would like ot have a web based, but I haven't be successful on finding a affordable,reliable one and easy to use.

Edited by Cameron2010, 02 March 2007 - 04:47 PM.