Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

ODHost Error on Windows 98 (Linksys Wireless)

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Laptop running Win98 SE that is completely patched. I have Norton Antivirus running on it and serveral Spyware programs that I run daily and update to make sure I don't have those kinds of problems. A friend of mine recently purchased a Linksys WPC54G Wireless PCMCIA Card and a WRT54G Wireless Router to use with her identical Dell Laptop running Win98 SE that is completely patched and has Spyware programs and Antivirus software running and up to date.

The problem we are having here is that after you install the PCMCIA Software and then the card and then reboot. We installed the software for the Router and reboot. When the laptop comes back up we get an error that states:

ODHost generated an invalid page fault in ODService.dll.

With this problem you aren't able to connect through the wireless router and have access to the internet or the other PC's on the network. If you disable the Monitor and then reload and then resetup the card & router with the information you created to make sure your network is setup and secure it works. The problem is that after rebooting you get the above error again and you have to resetup everything to get it to work. Well here in lies the real problem. While I am capable of setting this up everytime with no problems my friend surely wouldn't be able to and there is no good reason that we should have to do that.

When this problem occurred on her laptop I thought it might be something she did so I took the card and software and installed it on my identical laptop. Since this has happened I have downloaded from Linksys the latest drivers for the card and uninstalled and then installed the new ones with the same results. I need to resolve this issue. I spent over an hour online chatting with Linksys Tech Support and was apologized to by their tech for my problem but with no solution.

Any help you can give me to resolve this would be much appreciated.

Respectfully Yours,