Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Issue

• Please log in to reply

aalh004

aalh004

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi there,

I'm trying to get the following configuration working:

I have a D-LINK DSL-504 modem/router (wired) which my desktop is connected to.

I also have a D-LINK DI-624 wireless router attached to the DSL-504 modem. My laptop is then connected wirelessly to the DI-624.

Both the desktop and the laptop access the internet with no problem. How can I make both machines connect over a network? Doing it the through network connection wizard doesn't work.

IP addresses:
Wired router: 10.1.1.1
Wireless router: 192.168.0.1
Desktop: 10.1.1.2
Laptop: 192.168.0.100

Laptop running Windows XP Home SP2
Desktop running Windows XP Professional SP2

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
You need to get the wireless router set up as an access point only with an IP address in the same 10.1.1.x range as the wired router. The laptop also needs to be in the same range. I will try to find a step by step guide to help, and post back.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
All you want to know about your DI-624:

DI-624

Need to follow instruction on this page to pick the correct manual.

If you need the D-LINK DSL-504 modem/router, you can fine it on the D-Link pages. You might check and see if you have latest manufacturer's drivers for these while you're at it.

Ron