Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

COD 2 compatability

• Please log in to reply

Tim360

Tim360

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Howdy,

I'm new at this so bear with me.

I recently purchased a HP a1700n Pavillion with Vista Home Premium. I have heard that Vista does not affect the running of COD 2 but I cannot get the game to run. Any one out there having the same problem or better yet come up with a solution.

Thanks

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Does your system meet the minimum requirements?

Minimum Requirements
1.4 GHz Prozessor (Celeron / Duron)
512 MB RAM
ATi Radeon 9200 / GeForce 4

Optimum Requirements
2.5 GHz Prozessor (Athlon XP / Pentium 4)
1 GB RAM
ATi Radeon 9800XT / GeForce FX 5900

If so, try right clicking on CoD2.exe (or whatever the game is called), and click on Properties. Next go to the "Computability tab" and click the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select Win XP SP2. Also, try right clicking on the .exe and selecting "Run as an Administrator".

Good Luck!

Tim360

Tim360

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Everybody is telling me my system is good enough to play this game. That includes the Geek Squad at BB where I bought the HP.

Last night when I posted, some "pinned???" topics came up, including one that sent me to gamespy.com and a systems compatibility check. It said I need to download an updated driver. Apparently I can do this for free. I'm a little leary about opening up my system to the program though. I was going to check with the IT guys at work and see what they know about the site. Also I need to find out which driver is the most up to date and recommened for my system.

If you have any input I'll be greatful to hear it. This is my 1st decent home pc and I'd rather not mess it up:).

Thanks for getting back to me.

tim360

Tim360

Tim360

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That's a great motto Justin!

Justin

Justin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Drivers are always free, and (im assuming its a video card driver that you need), and they can be found at the manufacturers website. I think that you should be able to run the game with no problem.

Or you could buy a xbox 360 and buy CoD 2 for that! It'll only set you back another 500 bucks or so. :whistling:

Tim360

Tim360

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've got a 360. I do most of my gaming on it and a PS2. Eventually the 360 is supposed to be upgraded to be compatible to play against pc gamers on line but it sounds like that is down the road a bit.

My buddy has been playing COD 2 on line since it came out and has been trying to get me to do this. When I finally bought the pc he was thrilled so I told him I would do my best to get on line.

I'll keep working at it.

tim360

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Your Desktop either has a NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150LE Graphics with 128MB dedicated graphics memory OR Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 32MB dedicated graphics memory according to HP website. This is not sufficent.

Onboard graphics cards are not made for gaming. -1 point for the geeksquad. Although geforce 4 is really old and 128mb for onboard graphics being really high you might be able to get away with lowest graphic settings.

Let us know how it went with updated drivers.

Edited by Titan8990, 27 February 2007 - 03:55 PM.

Justin

Justin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Its probably running Aero, so it SHOULD be able to run CoD2. Ive been wrong before though :whistling:

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I'd like to point out that Call of Duty 2 in NOT as yet supported on Vista. And punkbuster certainly isn't.

It could be a problem to get the game running.

Activision

:whistling:

Edited by -=blaster=-, 27 February 2007 - 08:26 PM.

Tim360

Tim360

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I just got home from work and have caught up on your messages.
Titan 8990, you're right on the GeForce 6150 LE graphics card.
I'm not going to mess with it tonight, but in the morning I'll download the upgrade to a GeForce TNT2 for the 32 bit system from the Nvidia site. I'll let you know what happens.
As far as Vista goes; I think I'm in for a long haul on programs that are not yet fully compatible. A friend told me today that he heard the system is "a work in progress". I'll just have to be patient.
I appreciate the help guys.

tim360

Tim360

Tim360

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well I finally got answers to my problem running Call of Duty 2 on my new pc.

Turns out that even though my system is rated with the recommended requirements to run the game, it is still not able to do so. My solution? I had them install a GeForce 7900 GS PCI Express graphics card and a 400 watt power supply to run it. Total cost ended up being around $300.00 to upgrade. I could have probably saved about $60.00 on the install but I was tired of dealing with the issue.

Call of Duty 2 is now running smoothly and seems to be completely compatible with the Vista system. I am also running Counter Strike Source, Day of Defeat and Half Life 2 Deathmatch. (the 3 came in a multipack).

My recommendation to others is don't believe the specs on your gear when you purchase it. Get professional advice.

Thanks again to those of you that posted on this topic. I hope that my experience on this will save others the hassles I have had.

Tim360

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You are lucky that your prebuilt allowed you to expand like that. Glad you got everything working :whistling:.