Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

**CLOSED**

• Please log in to reply

SirNight33

SirNight33

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Well my friend got a pc ( he has no internet yet) he said his sound isnt working and ive looked up the model already but it doesnt tell me what sound card he has and im not to good with pcs my self could someone help me find the driver? :whistling:

Edited by SirNight33, 02 March 2007 - 04:24 PM.

Advertisements

Queen_Evie

Queen_Evie

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Well my friend got a pc ( he has no internet yet) he said his sound isnt working and ive looked up the model already but it doesnt tell me what sound card he has and im not to good with pcs my self could someone help me find the driver? :whistling:

Try this drill first.

Check to make sure the speakers are connected properly, make sure they are plugged into the sound card slots and not the on-board sound slots.

If the speakers have a power cord, make sure that it's plugged into a power source, turned on, and the volume is turned up.

Check to see if the volume is muted. (this can be checked by looking at the Play control mentioned below)

If everything above is ok, next step.

Start menu/Control Panel/Sounds And Audio Devices.
(or if you an icon in tray next to the clock, click on that).
If you use Control Panel, a box will open. Volume tab. Click ADVANCED. Play Control will open up.
Using the tray icon will open Play Control.
Click Options, check Advance Controls, then Properties. Put a checkmark next to everything if they aren't all marked. Click OK. See if anything is muted. (Don't worry if you unmute one thing and something else gets muted, this is normal. You can change it back easily).

At this point put in a cd, let it start playing, make sure the volume is up.
Click on Advanced in the Play Control panel. Do you see 1 Digital Output Only? If it's not checked, check it.
If you hear sound, that's the cure. If you don't, uncheck it and keep searching for a solution.

If that doesn't work, Start Menu/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management.
Look under Sound Controllers, are there any entries with an exclamation point next to them?

One way to check to see if the drivers are installed. Follow the procedure listed concerning getting to Sound and Audio Devices.

When the box opens, AUDIO tab. What is listed as default device? Is anything grayed out? If so, that usually means the drivers are not installed. If it isn't grayed out, make sure Use only default devices is checked. If he does have to check that, click apply to save the change.

In order to point you toward the drivers, you need to let us know what brand sound card is on the computer.
The box mentioned above, if not grayed out, should display the name/type of card.

Edited by Queen_Evie, 27 February 2007 - 07:40 AM.

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks for replying but problem solved searched google for the motherboard and found out it has a realtek AC'97 :whistling:

Queen_Evie

Queen_Evie

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
realtek AC'97 is on board sound, not a sound card. He can get the drivers from there.

Another thing he needs to do is go to Windows updates.
There may be an update there he needs, it would be listed under hardward or other.

In fact, since it's a new computer, he needs to check for Windows Updates.

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
uhm ok got another problem we installed his graphics card but when we type in dxdiag its not showing on the display adapter part and in the troubleshooting window it says its using onboard gfx? or somthing like that he cant run any games either.... oh the graphics card says it automatically disables onboard cards so whats the deal?

Edited by SirNight33, 27 February 2007 - 08:35 AM.

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hmm i think i did somthing wrong.. :whistling: i downloaded the motherboard driver thing catalyst control panel? so i right clicked and saw the graphic cards name and pressed extended desktop :help: so now when i go to dxdiag it shows a 2nd display adapter with the geforce card there but for the 1st adapter as it was before theres nothing can anyone tell me whats going on?

BTW its a amd 64 athlon? :blink:

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

Still cant run games :whistling:

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
ok just another problem arghh the monitor isnt working if i plug it in to the erm graphic card monitor slot? dont know if thats the term for it but if i plug it into the default one that came with the pc it works? :S

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
ok well i thought it might be the slot i had it plugged into but turns out it isnt removed the modem so i could fit it in... the problem is that the driver installs fine it shows in the device manager nvida geforce 6600 but... the problem is when i run dxdiag it doesnt show it as the display adapter? and also if i right click the desktop and go to properties-system-advanced-adapter it doesnt show it either i also get errors from games im trying to run for him that says no display adapter found i really need help please.....

Sorry if im not describing the problem right >.> going to try and get some photos and maybe a video on youtube

Posted Image

Ok well thats the best i can do right now basically his video card has a primary monitor (ports?) i think and a secondary one to plug a monitor in and the pc it self (shown in the picture the blue monitor port/slot not sure what to call it) has one so thats 3 (2 on the graphic card 1 on the back of his pc) ok so when i plug the monitors (connector?) into the back of the graphic card ive tried primary and secondary ports it just shows a lightly black screen then goes to a ash gray BUT when i plug the monitors connector into the default port i can see his desktop etc........ :whistling:

Edited by SirNight33, 27 February 2007 - 11:17 AM.

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Still not fixed can anyone help me? :whistling:

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Ok, lets see if i can describe my problem...i follow all the instructions right disabled on board graphics card etc... now when i restart i run dxdiag doesn't show a display adapter only vga.dll strange so i go and download driver 93.71 its supposed to put a control panel to the graphics card in my taskbar near time but it doesn't!

Pretty strange... and if i plug my monitor into the graphics card it just shows a black screen i've been trying to get it to work for 3-5days :whistling:

ALSO

IF i leave my ATI card installed and download the catalyst control center the Nvidia card (Geforce FX 5500) shows up as a display adapter and if i click "extended desktop" and run DXdiag it shows up in a tab called "Display 2" but for some reason i cant get it installed as my default display adapter?

Edited by SirNight33, 02 March 2007 - 12:47 PM.

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
can someone tell me how i disable my onboard graphics ship ive got a ati radeon xpress 200 motherboard