Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disconnected network drives on startup

• Please log in to reply

drrzdc

drrzdc

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have multiple computers that are all able to connect to the network drives with the exception of one. If I go into control panel there are approximately 6 network connections that show disconnected. If I click on the names individually, the drive will connect.

Any ideas as to why this is happening or any simple fixes for this problem? Thanks

RZ

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how are you handling the drive mapping? is there a login script? or did you map them once and they stay connected?

drrzdc

drrzdc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
the drives are mapped and then they seem to work fine on all but this computer

RZ

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...right but how are you mapping them?

drrzdc

drrzdc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Not sure what you are asking but here goes. As far as I know, tech support and a tech friend of mine attempted to map the network drive by locating the file and going up to the tools? and clicking map network drive. I might be wrong on this though

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe righty oh! makes sense to me

give me a minute and i'll try to set you up with an easy batch file that you can put in startup that might help

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...do you know how to make a batch file? (create a text file...input the data then change the extension to .bat)

make a batch file with the following commands in it (change the info to match your setup)

NET USE <Drive Letter>: /delete
make one line as above for each mapped drive. <Drive Letter> should correspond to the letter you want the drive to show up as in "My Computer"

NET USE <Drive Letter>: \\<Remote Computer Address>\<Remote Shared Folder Name>
make one line as above for each mapped drive. <Drive Letter> should correspond to the letter you want the drive to show up as in "My Computer". <Remote Computer Address> Should correspond to the remote computer...this can be an IP address or a computer name...if you have dynamic ip's on the computers...go for the computer name. <Remote Shared Folder Name> is the name of the target drive on the remote machine

once you make this batch file...place it in your "startup folder" on your computer...that way every time you log on...it will disconnect the drives...then reconnect them

drrzdc

drrzdc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks,

I will try it but will probably have a friend of mine do it as he is more familiar with drives and networks