Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to share files between multiple offices

• Please log in to reply

evitaler

evitaler

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi.

I own a small business. We currently have 3 locations with plans for more in the future.
I need to share files between users at each office. I need to share documents, excel spreadsheets, contact lists, databases (more on the database below).

Right now I am using Microsoft Folder Share which works, but not as I would hope. At least two computers must be online to share files. Multiple file versions are often created if changes are made.

I need something that will allow more than one person to access a file, make changes, and save it so other users at other locations can have access.

I am thinking maybe a network hard drive plugged into a router or some sort of server.
I do not want to build or have my own server. Some sort of remote server would be best.

Also, I am looking for a software program which will allow me to keep contact lists organized, track outstanding quotes, projects, purchase orders, etc. This program somehow has to fit into having multiple offices. Any suggestions? I have tried ACT! but it severely messed up my computer when installing the .NET framework.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
You might want to google "hosting services" or "web hosting" and check out some of the companies in your area. Most will set up a server for you at their location and then you can all log into it and access the data you need. You can maintain it yourself or have them do it. Don't know if it would be cost effective for you but....

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
ACT! is a very good program and we use it at my office (real estate business).

No one has had any issues with it being installed on their system or acting crazy on the network. It is your best option IMHO...

There are tons of places that have dedicated servers. The trick is to research them, check their uptime and their features against your bottom-line and choose one that meets your needs.

We currently use 1and1 and while they would not have been my first choice (I inherited my network and vendors from my predecessor) it has worked well enough with almost no downtime and at a decent price for a dedicated server. I will be slowly migrating away from them in the future and running my own server here as I think it is more cost-effective for our needs.

And I like to have this control thing :-)

evitaler

evitaler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Maybe the ACT problem is just with my computer.

My company works in the construction industry and we work on a project basis.

I need to keep track of contacts, quotes, purchase orders and other files and organize them by project name. Will ACT do this, or do I need more? Whatever solution I find, it needs to work with this hosted server I suppose I'll be subscribing to.