Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

flow meter

• Please log in to reply

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
hi all,

i am desperate here, i need to MAKE a way measuring the amount of water passing a point, it needs to be a totalizing flow meter?

we can't buy one because of money, but we need to prove to someone that we are pumping the required 900 litres!

this is crazy and V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V urgent!

thanks

Advertisements

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hello. I am guessing by making a flow meter, you mean you need to prove how much liquid is being passed along a pipe in a certain period of time? Let me know if this is correct before I go yabbering on and on and on and on...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Flow meters, are both easy and hard probably the easiest way is just a simple measurement of the pressure drop to determine flow speed through a fixed aperture and then time of course.

But simply if you want to show you are pumping 900 liters, fill a tank with 900 liters or any amount if you know the size of the tank and measure out 900 liters from the tank(easier if you only need to calculate flowrate once) if you want to do it over more extended periods then youll need to set up a measurement device for the pressure its the only real practical way just a simlpe pitot tube arrangement things like that.

What kind of apparatus do you have, do you have a proper engineering lab or is this a garage workshop style affair.

If you need some details i could probably get you some references from some old lab work ive done on measuring flow rates(its what we chemical engineers spend all our first year doing).

Edited by warriorscot, 01 March 2007 - 06:57 PM.