Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive MISSING 45GIGs

• Please log in to reply

Triple

Triple

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Basically I tried out Vista didnt like it much so reverted back to XP. I finally finished installing all the drivers when I realized Im missing 45 GIGs on my HD?!?!?!?!?!?!

is there anyway I can get this back or use that space somehow to install Vista on. I have tried booting my computer with the Vista CD, but it just boots XP as normal!!!

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!!!!

I would be much appreciated! :whistling:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
We need to know about your setup. How big is the hard drive and what version of XP did you install?

Triple

Triple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It is XP Home and its a 100gig HDD! :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open my documents, click tools, folder options, view, put the dot in show hidden files and folders, click apply

Click start, my computer, double click the hard drive, right click a folder, click properties to get (eventually with larger folders) size and size on disc, do this with all folders, are any larger than you expect

Triple

Triple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I've tried that, and none of the folders look out of the ordinary! I think its something to do with partitions on my hdd. I had to re-format before I re-installed XP. Somehow during the process I've lost that 45 gig.

I would like to be able to somehow use that space to put vista on if I can actually find it!???

is there such thing a program that can sort out my partitions while im logged on to XP?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, control panel, performance and maintenance, computer management, disk management, what does it show there

Triple

Triple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok Ive done that it only shows I have one partition of 55.88GB the type sais - basic

the only other thing it shows is the CD Drive!

its definatly missing?!?!? :whistling:

Edited by Triple, 28 February 2007 - 03:21 PM.

Triple

Triple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
PLZZZ SOMEONE HELP

I realy dont want to have to format my hdd again!!!!!!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
OK, go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Control>Computer Management and open Disk Management. You should see your hard drive information there including an unformatted part of your hard drive. You should be able to just format it and have your 45gb back.

Triple

Triple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok tried that!

it only shows the one partition NTFS 55.88GB

and the CD drive! theres no sign of any other space showing on it??!?!?!? :whistling:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Did you change any jumper settings on the drive? There is usually a setting which reduces the size for use in some systems. Also do you have the installation disk which came with the drive? Run it and see if it can see the entire drive. You still haven't told us much about your system so we're shooting in the dark here.

Triple

Triple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well basically its a Toshiba Satellite pro, I actually upgraded the hard disk drive myself from a 40GB to a 100GB. It was fine had pretty much the whole 100GB available prior to upgrading to VIsta.

The I formatted the HDD, now its lost 45GB. I do have the windows XP disk.

Maybe If I boot from the CD and look at the partitions from there??!?!?!?

what else do you need to know about the system, I'll find it out for you!?!

sorry for the hassle

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It may be that the BIOS in your machine only sees 40gb of it and you may need to use drive overly software to see the rest. If your drive came with a software disk use it or go to the maker's site and download it.

Triple

Triple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
is there any way you know of to find out who the manufacturer is?!? cos i honestly havent got a clue?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Open device manager, it shold tell you about the hard drives. If you don't recognize the brand from the information post it here.