Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installation

• Please log in to reply

tiptopfunnyman

tiptopfunnyman

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have an older computer in which I am trying to install Windows Xp. I have put a 500gb hdd, I have enough RAM and I have a PIII. I have been able to get the window where you create a partition, but nothing more. Now the computer wont even read the cd. I have an external hdd that I have tried to put it on but gotten no where. If possible, please help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows cannot be installed on an external drive.

It may well be that your computer can't talk to hard drives bigger than 137Gb. If this is the case, then usually it won't find it at all.

tiptopfunnyman

tiptopfunnyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Well you can install Windows on an external hard drive, its just a large project. And the computer has recognized the hdd it just wont read the disk, yet it reads other installation disks to a point.