Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cant use both of my hard drives

• Please log in to reply

bluefishyjoe

bluefishyjoe

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
here's my approx. specs
dell dimension 4600 (plus some of my upgrades)
pentium 4 2.4GHz processor
768 megs of ram
windows xp professional

to begin, my pc has got some history. my parents bought it two and a half years ago, but had alot of problems, cus they dont know squat about computers, after about a year and a half, it stopped working all together, so they gave up and bought a new pc, i got their old one and fixed it. over the last year i've been working on making it better, you know, adding burner, extra ram, stuff like that to boost its performanc.

going back to the days when it was my parents computer, one of the times when it broke, the dell guy on the phone told them it needed a new hd, so my dad went out and bought a new 70 gig hd, of course, it didnt help anything, so they eventually gave in and wasted the 200$ it costs for the best buy guys to look at it. the best buy guys told him it wasnt the hd, it was the cd drive, so when we got it back from them, it was completely wiped, had a 70 and 40 gig hd's in it and a new disc drive.

now to the actual problem, when i go to system specs and the hardware list, it shows that there are two working hd's connected, but only one of the hd's, the 70 gig one, is being used. how do i make it so that there are two hd's being used at the same time

also, last summer, something happened that screwed up my pc, and since i couldnt perfectly fix it i just reinstalled windows, but when i reinstalled it, i left a 12 gig partition with all of the old files on it, how can i get rid of this so i can use that space

i was thinking about reinstalling windows again thiis weekend, just to get another fresh start, does that help

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
are you trying to link the 2 hdd's by having windows install programs on both and run off both? if so its kinda pointless. a slave hdd is usually used for storage

bluefishyjoe

bluefishyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ok, so it wont help the performance at all, and if i eventually need it, will it work