Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help?

• Please log in to reply

Bolthen

Bolthen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Having some issues with my computer and trying to figure out some possibilities.

Problems I'm having are as follows...

When I restart or shutdown my computer the monitor will shut off but the computer itself stays on (The blue power button stays on and it doesnt restart)

When I go to turn on my computer it only turns on the monitor bout every other time (I hit the blue button but the monitor doesnt come on so I hold in the button turn it off and do it again then it usually turns on)

Also when it is on I get a wavy screen when opening a window, playing a video or downloading a file, when downloading a file or playing a video it is continously wavy.

And after re-installing World of Warcraft the game has all of a sudden become extremly laggy.

Hoping someone here might be able to give me a cpl of ideas and maybe a cpl of solutions...Thankyou

Advertisements

Bolthen

Bolthen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok I'm at a loss, have tried reformatting, unhooking everything and re hooking it up, tried using a different cable for the monitor and still nothing.

It takes a cpl of tries to actually get it to turn on (manually turning it on then off untill the monitor comes on) And when it does sometimes it works but then sometimes it freezes anywhere, or sometimes it goes to a screen telling me that windows has failed to start with options of safe boot, last known working configuration, start windows ect...

Im lost not even sure what to think could be the problem.

QDuck

QDuck

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Having some issues with my computer and trying to figure out some possibilities.

Problems I'm having are as follows...

When I restart or shutdown my computer the monitor will shut off but the computer itself stays on (The blue power button stays on and it doesnt restart)

When I go to turn on my computer it only turns on the monitor bout every other time (I hit the blue button but the monitor doesnt come on so I hold in the button turn it off and do it again then it usually turns on)

Also when it is on I get a wavy screen when opening a window, playing a video or downloading a file, when downloading a file or playing a video it is continously wavy.

And after re-installing World of Warcraft the game has all of a sudden become extremly laggy.

Hoping someone here might be able to give me a cpl of ideas and maybe a cpl of solutions...Thankyou

One thing that COULD cause that would be if there is a problem such that on shutdown you are getting a BSOD. When that happens and XP is set to restart on major system Error, which is the default setting, shutdown will not complete, but neither will you see the BSOD screen.

So as a starting point, we are going to disable the automatic restart feature for system failures in Windows XP. That way, if there IS a BSOD happening on shutdown, we can then see it and that would give us a starting point for trouble shooting.

To Do That:

1. Navigate to the Control Panel in Windows XP by left-clicking on Start, followed by Settings and then choosing Control Panel.

2. In the Control Panel window, open System.

Note: In Microsoft Windows XP, depending on how your operating system is setup, you may not see the System icon. To correct this, click on the link on the left-hand side of the Control Panel window that says Switch to Classic View.

3. In the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.

4. Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.

5. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

6. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

7. Click OK in the System Properties window.

8. From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, the PC will not automatically reboot. Rebooting manually will be necessary.

9. Reboot and note if a BSOD appears. If so, copy the information off of the BSOD. Post it here in a subsequent post.

Edited by QDuck, 28 February 2007 - 10:13 AM.

Bolthen

Bolthen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Didnt get a blue screen. but it did take me 3 times to actually get my computer to start. Would turn it on it starts running but doesnt do anything (monitor doesnt turn on) till about 3 attempts and even then sometimes the monitor comes on but then will sometimes just freeze loading windows or will go to the window asking me to boot in safe mode or last known configuration or start windows.

QDuck

QDuck

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK. Now when you shut down, what did it do?