Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fan Placement questions.

• Please log in to reply

Ldee

Ldee

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello all

I hope someone can offer some advice on fan placement for a new system I've just completed for a family member. The system is based on an E6400 (stock hsf) cpu oc'ed to 3ghz, at the moment the temps seem fine (as far as I know anyway) idling at 35 c and going up to about 60 c underload (prime95 torture test on each core for an hour).

I don't know much about oc'ing or fan placement, this is my second oc and I don't fully understand what I've done (I usually don't oc but it's so easy with e6400), I've never until now played about with fan placement.

I've included here a diagram of the case and the present layout of the fans, I'm not sure if the fan on the back should be turned around to make it an exhaust? It came on the case like that so I thought they probably know whats best and it's good to have it like this blowing air near the cpu. I'm also not sure what I should be doing with the big fan, is this a decent place for it? Should I keep it as blowing air in to the case? I guess I could get it near the front somehow to promote front to back airflow but the problem is that this case doesn't really allow for that because the front is all sealed with no vents or mesh, I could open the door and take a couple of the expansion bay panels off but that would mean the door would have to be kept open, which I don't want to do.
Posted Image
I also have another small fan which could connect to the one and only chasis fan header on my mboard (gigabyte 965 ds3) which is currently unoccupied. Didn't include it yet as I wasn't sure about a good place to put it, might disrupt airflow if put in the wrong place and also there is no convenient place and way to attach it to the remaining spaces in the case, if I do attach it I'd have to do some taping I think.

Last thing (I know I'm asking for a lot here, just hoping to find someone with an interest and knowledge in fans) one of the fans is pretty loud, aswell as it's normal sound it emits a kind of tinny higher pitched vibratory sound, if it was at a slower rate it would sound like a rattle I guess. I've tried to fasten the screws as best I can, makes no difference. Any tips on getting rid of this kind of noise from the fans?

Thanks for reading, hope it wasn't too long.

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
The key is to get airflow THROUGH the case. The fan on the back should be sucking air out. In your present configuration you would most likely overheat.

:whistling:

Ldee

Ldee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Thanks for the reply

I was under the impression that perhaps the fan in the psu would suffice as exhaust? You think I'll overheat? But my temps look ok now right?

I'm up for your suggestion but would the cpu hsf be getting enough cool air passing by it this way?

Also, isn't it better to have positive air pressure in the case rather than negative? The way I have it now would most certainley be creating positive air pressure in the case due to the only exhaust being in the psu. I'm not saying turning the fan around would definitely create negative pressure (perhaps the big fan is enough to keep more air going in than what would be getting sucked out by the two smaller fans at the back and in the psu) but this is possible. Anyway, how do people measure whether the air pressure is + or - in their cases? Is there a tool?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
it is heaps better to have a negative airpressure in the case
and basically this means (i no it seems strange but) there is more air coming out of the case than whats being pushed in so basically the sir is being sucked through the case collecting the hot air and being being pushed out the back

the best way to acheive this is to set up a case (like mine just to compare) i have a 80mm fan blowing air in the front of the case and a large 120mm fan blowing air out the back of the case both fans are running close to max RPM and that acheives a negatve air pressure because the large fan will be pushing more air out than the 80mm and as far as i no there is no way to determine the pressure without using some guess work and basicall y thats what im doing but a little bit of common sense comes into play

also i dont no if you should have that large 120mm fan blowing air into teh side of the case that would be disrupting the airflow i would change the set-up of the case so that (if possable) the 120mm fan is blowing air out (where the 90mm fan is at the moment) and getting ride of the 90 mm fan at the back. you could also place the 90mm fan on the CPU sleeve blowing the air down onto the CPU

so in summary what i would do is

1. remove the 90mm fan from the back
2. place the 120mm fan at the back of the tower
3. probably dont place a fan on the side of the case because that would be creating turbulance
4. and if possable get a fan for the front of the case

and if none of them are possable i would think about gettting a better case

what model is the case you have at the moment??

hope this helps a litttle

troppo

Ldee

Ldee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Thanks very much troppo, this is a great help!

My case is made by icute, here is a link:

http://www.maplin.co...=...050&doy=1m3

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
sorry to say but from the looks of it its not a very cooling friendly case :whistling:

but what you could do and you may aswell try ti for now and see how your temps go.
change the 120mm fan on the side of teh case so that it nows becomes and exhaust and leave the 80mm fan at the back blowing air in and see how your temps go just as an excersise

but your temos arent even that bad honest my P4 3.0 Ghz which is clocked at 3.54Ghz on intel stock cooling idels at around 42 C and gets to about 60-61 C under load unless your trying to overclock more then i wouldnt be to worried about your temps they seem fine to me

but try what i suggested and see if it changes anything...

troppo