Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot install Quicktime

• Please log in to reply

Keyboard

Keyboard

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago my Dad had to use System Restore to get back something that was screwed up. It worked, however my iTunes had been removed after I had gone through numerous hours of trying to get it fixed in the first place. Now my problem is this:

Today I wanted to reinstall iTunes, so I downloaded the latest version from Apple, installed it and everything, but as soon as I try and open it after the installation I get one of those error messages where you can choose to send, or not send. I am confused as to what to do now, I remember this having something to do with Quicktime, so I uninstalled that, but now when I try and reinstall Quicktime I can't because it says I have a newer version. This isn't possible because I typed "regedit" in the run menu, and went to the SOFTWARE menu, deleted Apple Computer Inc, and I still get the same message.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

P.S. I am running Windows XP.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You deleted one entry in the Registry. There will be many more similar entries in places you wouldn't even be aware of. Use the Regedit 'Find' tool to find all 'Keys' containing the word Quicktime and delete any it finds. When it finds one , delete it, then press F3 to find the next one until regedit says "Finished".

Now go into C:\Program Files and make sure there isn't a folder called 'Quicktime' or 'Apple'. delete if necessary.

Keyboard

Keyboard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I try to delete the Quicktime folder in Program Files it says:

"Cannot delete qttask.exe: Access is denied.

Make sure that the disc is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

techie4fun

techie4fun

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

When I try to delete the Quicktime folder in Program Files it says:

"Cannot delete qttask.exe: Access is denied.

Make sure that the disc is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

So it now sounds like the program is still running. Use your task manager and see if it is listed in the process list. Then try to kill it. You may be getting access denied because your on a limited account. An easier route would be to log into safemode and then see if you can uninstall quicktime, as you probably wouldn't get the error that says access denied.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You may need to close that in the task manager or even go to msconfig, just type that in the run box to open msconfig, them stop that program from running. That should allow you to delete the folder.