Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I delete an unused Windows Partition

• Please log in to reply

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I have xp home and xp pro installed on separate partitions on the same disk. I want to format the xp home partition since I am booting from and using xp pro on my other partition. However when I try to format the partition (while booted into xp pro) in the computer management console, I get a this message:

"this is the active partition on this disk. All data on the partition will be lost. Are you sure you want to format this partition Y/N "

The partition contains xp home which I no longer want. So I click yes and I get the following message:

"The volume C: is the primary partition is currently in use. To force format of this volume click yes. WARNING forcing a format might cause unexpected errors in the application that is using this volume. Do you want to continue Y/N?"

I don't want to mess up my xp pro on my other partition so I didn't click yes. Any suggestions for how I can safely remove my xp home partition?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Removed

Edited by pip22, 28 February 2007 - 01:16 AM.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Boot up your Windows XP setup disc. Go to the screen where you would normally pick the partition to install XP on. Then, delete the XP Home partition. If you don't understand or have any problems, just say, and I'll explain it a bit better. Let me know how it goes.

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok I can try that. Are you sure it won't screw up my booting into xp pro? There must be some reason windows wouldn't let me format it. The partition is the primary partition.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I would be very loathe to delete the C: partition if it is bootable and XP Pro is in the D: partition. If you have important software on D: and can't or don't want to reinstall everything the first thing I would do is image that partition to another drive with an active partition. run defrag first and observe how much room is used so you know how big the other drive needs to be to hold it. Then see if that drive will boot in the machine. If it does you can reformat the C: and D: drives and then image the second drive onto C:. You may need to edit your boot.ini file in the root drive.