Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System shuts down & restarts by itself - HELP ASAP

• Please log in to reply

ru6ydragon

ru6ydragon

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, so here's the summary. Computer shuts down and restarts all by itself. Computer has IE errors. Computer has game crashes. Everything I run eventually crashes. I suspected many things over the last month and have reformatted TWICE. There's NO spyware, no adware, Ive installed zone alarm, updated my drivers, updated windows, tried it with SP2 and now Im using the comp WITHOUT SP2. Suspected my computer was overheating so I downloaded thermal analyzer. HD temp was 55c. Pulled off the cover, bought a box fan. Now its running at 35c. I suspected my Radeon card, removed the drivers and reinstalled them. I tweeked my processes. NOTHING HAS HELPED.

I suspect my bios. There's a section in the bios screen that say..
CHAFAN1 - 0 rpm
CPUFAN1 - 4,592 rpm.

Is my bios set to auto shutoff my comp if that CHAFAN1 fan isn't running? And if so, how do I MAKE IT STOP !

This was a custom build and there probably isn't even a CHAFAN hooked up! I don't even know what the CHAFAN is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh please help me before I truly go over the edge.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Did you check your Power Management settings in your BIOS? It sounds like you have a system problem.

The usual causes for random shutdowns are:

1)Overheating triggers auto-shutdown to protect the CPU. Your reported temp is good, but for HD. What is the Processor temp?.
2) Memory module going bad. Bad memory stick causing propblems, especially during gaming when usage is high.
3) Power supply going bad. A good possibility on a clone, especially if you installed new cards for gaming which may be drawing more power than PS can handle.
4) Using something like Intel's gaming console where you can set a lot of parameters, the shut down temp may not be set correctly (toolow).
5) Possibly a virus may be causing your shut down problem. I've seen some malware that does this. If it is malware/trojan it will initiate the 30 second shutdown upon detection. Need to see and read instructions in the Malware Removal section of this form.

Probably left out something.

Hope this helps.

Ron

israel_guy

israel_guy

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi,

If It's happening while Games are rinning, I know a solution: I had problems like that. Try to disable sound in the bios Menu (You know how to turn it on, don't you?). If not, go for an inspection....

azreal

azreal

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
im haveing the same type of problem.. :tazz: CHAFAN=Chasis Fan im gussing you dont have one hooked up to ur mobo ATM so thats why it says 0 RPM's. personaly im going to try upgradeing my BIOS, to see if that helps, if not me maybe upgradeig your's whould hep you. just an idea.