Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Maintenance of PC

• Please log in to reply

chac

chac

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I just want to run this by you guys to see if there is anything I am missing from my maintenece

Scandisk - Once Monthly
Disk Defrag - Once Monthly
Maleware Bot - Twice Weekly
AVG Anti Virus - 3 - 4 Times Weekly
Zonealrm - Always On
Everest - Always On

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Scandisk - no fixed schedule. Run it whenever Windows has suddenly re-started for no apparent reason (technically an improper shutdown but one which doesn't necessarily run scandisk automatically). There should be need to run it unless Windows crashes, exits suddenly, or you have to shutdown improperly.

Disk Defrag - once a week is better. In fact, this will tell you if scandisk is required, because defrag won't run if there's a disk-error and you'll get a message telling you to use the Disk Checker first.

Malware detection - okay

AVG Anti-Virus - okay

Everest - don't use it so can't comment.

One thing missing which I recommend is the free "SpywareBlaster" which adds known bad websites to the 'block' list in both IE and Firefox. Get it here and keep it up to date: http://www.javacools...wareblaster.htm

Edited by pip22, 28 February 2007 - 04:32 AM.

chac

chac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I will change the disk defrag to weekly & will download "SpywareBlaster"

Thanks for that

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Spywareblaster at: http://www.javacools...areblaster.html :whistling: Forgot the " l ". :blink: Having a bad day, Pip?

Ron

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
defraging weekly is a little obsessive....once a month would be fine and...well you could even go 3 or 4 depending on how you use your pc...

i may be a worry wart...but i run my AV and antimalware software with daily scheduled scans and any on access protections on....why wait 3 days to remove a virus that you got on sunday?...