Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WMP 11 INstall Failed, Now WMP 10 Won't Open

• Please log in to reply

davemendoza

davemendoza

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I tried to install WMP 11. It went all the way thru install but then failed at the end, yet it will not allow itself to be removed.

error 80070005

I tried opening WMP 10 and now it fails to open at all.

Please help

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
First try System Restore, rolling back to a date before you updated to WMP11.

Failing that, and if you have a windows XP CD, try to perform an 'upgrade repair' as follows:

* Boot from the Windows XP CD. In order to do this, you will likely need to enter your computer's BIOS and set it to boot from CD.
* Do not choose Repair when it is offered. That will take you to the Repair Console and you don't want to be there.
* Choose Upgrade
* The installer will find your existing XP installation and offer to repair it.
* Now you choose Repair.
* Let it do its thing (don't use Dynamic Update, though).
* No loss in settings, programs or data. You will lose any patches/updates, though.

davemendoza

davemendoza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have seen this thing happen to others. Any idea why? When I first upgraded to WMP 11 it worked fine. I had to recover my XP yesterday due to instability issues and once I did everything was working well and faster and then I did the upgrade to WMP 11 and this happened. Like I said, I did a search and I know I join others with this problem.

System restoe failed btw.

But Why does this WMP issue occur?

Is there a patch or something so that if I did another recover of XP I could save teh patch before I tried again to upgrade?

If Not I will avoid upgrading.