Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Function Key

• Please log in to reply

Llewellyn

Llewellyn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm running XP. When I boot up the function key is set to `off'. With windows 98 it was always `on'. My main software programmes make a lot of use of the function keys. How do I get windows to always set it to `on'?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Don't get confused between "Function Keys" and F-keys. On many modern keyboards the F-keys provide two modes. The default mode is where the F-keys should work just as you expect them to (F1=help, F3=Find, F5=refresh, etc.

To change their mode of operation, there should be a "F-lock" or "Function Lock" key adjacent to the row of F-keys. Press this and the F-keys change mode so that the alternative action labelled on each F-key can be accessed.

Llewellyn

Llewellyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry. Youre right. It's the F-lock key I'm talking about. In windows 98, and indeed I find in another computer using XP but with a generic keyboard, the F-lock is set to `on'. I have a MS keyboard and on boot up (or restart from sleep mode) it is set to `off'. True, I can press F-Lock but it's a pain when I've always found it to be automatically `on'.

Is there a setting some where to change this?