Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Windows Install Does not Recognize RAID 3 Data

• Please log in to reply

kjv1611

kjv1611

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I happened upon this forum in attempting to find some help for my current situation.

I previously installed Windows XP on a RAID 0 configuration (one PCI PNY S-CURE SATA RAID card) and all my data in a RAID3 array on a separate PCI PNY S-CURE SATA RAID card. All was going quite well.

However, just about a week or week and a half ago, the RAID card for the Windows install showed a fault on one of the drives, and then the system BIOS couldn't find the Windows installation on that RAID configuration to boot, so I got a message like this (I forget the exact message):
MISSING BOOT DISK, REPLACE BOOT DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE
It's a common message, but I may not be remembering it correctly.

So, I just broke down and purchased 2 drives to replace the current RAID 0 array - they were 2 WD 80 GB hard drives, and I replaced with 2 74GB 16MB cache WD Raptors.

Everything went fine, except that now I can no longer see the data on the RAID 3 setup, nor the spare hard drive I have on the same RAID card as the RAID 3 setup. The BIOS for the card shows that all is well, no changes, but the new Windows install cannot find it.

Is there a way to make Windows see the actual data on my drive, so that I do not have to attempt to "recover" the data to another hard drive? I'm hoping to not have to buy another hard drive, and just add/change some Windows files in order to recognize the storage drives as active drives.

The partitions on the RAID3 and additional one disk RAID 0 drives are setup in NTFS format.

Any help/suggestions/advice? Any will be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

kjv1611

kjv1611

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I found the solution. I used Active Partition Recovery. It worked great.

If anyone else wants to take a look at the "Active ..." products, have a look here:
http://www.active-un...s.htm#partition